My kitten will only drink running water

Attica1962

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 7 mo kitten will only drink running water. When he was very young, we noticed that he'd only drink when we were filling the bowl, so we bought him one of these drinking fountains for pets that keeps the water running all day. At first he drank from it, but then he started to put his paws into the water, and once it was dirty he wouldn't drink anymore. Even if the water was clean, we had to change it twice a day, and still he would prefer water from the tap. Finally the device broke down and we gave up on it.

Half of his diet is dry food for kittens, and half is wet food for adults (he despises wet food for kittens). Whenever we are close to a tap he jumps and asks for water, but he drinks very little each time. It's not as if he's very thirsty. Of course he still has his bowl with water, which we change two or three times a day.

Can you think of a solution, or should we just get used to this?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So, does this kitten place his paws in the running tap water too? If not, there are water fountains that mimic a tap with running water. This is just one example of many faucet type fountains.
Amazon.com: Pioneer Pet Swan Pet Drinking Fountain for Cats and Dogs - 80oz Capacity, Great for Multiple Pets – Great for Pets Who Love the Faucet - Bubbler and Bowl Dispenser Design Keeps Water Moving : Pet Supplies

You could also place an ice cube or a small colored plastic floatable ball in his water bowl and see if that interests him in drinking from it. It might cause him to play in it, and slosh water around but that is easily resolved by using placemats under the bowl to absorb any water spills. Multiple bowls around the house can also entice a cat to drink more, as they tend to stop by each one that they pass on their way throughout the house.

If he will tolerate it, you can add some water to his wet food to help keep him better hydrated.

I am sure other members will come along soon with some different ideas for you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Attica1962

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So, does this kitten place his paws in the running tap water too? If not, there are water fountains that mimic a tap with running water. This is just one example of many faucet type fountains.
Amazon.com: Pioneer Pet Swan Pet Drinking Fountain for Cats and Dogs - 80oz Capacity, Great for Multiple Pets – Great for Pets Who Love the Faucet - Bubbler and Bowl Dispenser Design Keeps Water Moving : Pet Supplies

You could also place an ice cube or a small colored plastic floatable ball in his water bowl and see if that interests him in drinking from it. It might cause him to play in it, and slosh water around but that is easily resolved by using placemats under the bowl to absorb any water spills. Multiple bowls around the house can also entice a cat to drink more, as they tend to stop by each one that they pass on their way throughout the house.

If he will tolerate it, you can add some water to his wet food to help keep him better hydrated.

I am sure other members will come along soon with some different ideas for you.
Yes, he places his paws under the running water from the tap, too... But it is a good idea to place different bowls all over the house.

On the other hand, I was wondering, what is the best material? The fountain was plastic, the one he has now is metal, but I've thought of using a ceramic one... What do you think?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Stainless steel or ceramic are better than plastic, because they are less porous, despite the fact that most fountains are made of the latter.

The cat activated faucet that daftcat75 daftcat75 shared a link to is interesting, as long as the cost is not a factor. I had no idea they had such a thing!

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Another thing to consider - it could be behavioral? Perhaps his way to get some attention and interact with you? Since it isn't access or even necessarily thirst related, you could try making one time per day that is "tap water time".

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Ceramic is best followed by stainless. Ceramic has an insulating effect and keeps the water cool provided it isn't placed in the hot sun or on top of a register.

Kabuto's water stays cool all day with his raindrop fountain. This fountain bubbles up from underneath and has a waterslide back into the bowl.

Amazon.ca

If your cat prefers faucets there are some stainless steel ones that resemble taps.

Amazon.ca