My kitten will not poop in litter box I'm ready to give her away

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I know it is soooo hard not to yell, but it will really only make things worse with her. She could become afraid of you. Did you adopt her from a rescue? Do you know what type litter/litter box they were using? Not knowing any of the specifics, I've included a link below to a TCS article about training kittens to use a litter box. Hopefully, there are some tips in it that you haven't tried yet.
How To Train Kittens To Use The Litter Box – TheCatSite Articles

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't yell at her; you'll ruin her trust in you. She's a baby and it always takes babies some time to get the hang of potty training.

After naps and mealtimes, take her to the litterbox and scratch around in it, try to entice her to use it. If she does, make sure to tell her how great she is, but be careful not to be too enthusiastic (like you would with, say, a Lab puppy) because it might scare her. Also keep an eye on her while she's playing and take her to the litterbox if she looks like she has to go (sniffing or scratching the floor, etc.). When you're not home or can't watch her, confine her in a small room with her litterbox (and food and water and a bed of course) so she doesn't have any choice but to use the box. Bathrooms are good for this, or maybe a laundry room if it's safe enough.

You can also get Kitten Attract litter or litter additive, if you go to their website they'll have a store locator so you can look up where to buy it in your area.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Additionally, some cats simply want a separate box to poop in from the box they pee in. Who knows why, but its true. If all the things from above don't work, try getting her a second box. type of litter is important too. No perfumy litter, and for kittens, it needs to be NON-clumping, at least until they are 4 months old.

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Make sure the box is easy for her to get in & out of. If you're using a liner, get rid of it. If the box is kept in a corner, you might have to bring it out into a more open space for awhile. If the box has a top, remove it.

Try a softer litter. I recently bought a bag of Sustainably Yours which is made from dried corn & something else. It's very soft and easy on the sensitive feet of kitties.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise