My Kitten Thinks It's Ok To Scratch Me

Chaylita

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitten is about 10 weeks old now and she likes to play and snuggle but she always digs her claws into me when she jumps down or walks on me. She doesn't ever bite me, it's not aggressive play and she doesn't seem to do it to my boyfriend. Is there any way to teach her to keep her claws sheathed?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The moment a claw touches you skin overreact with a very loud and sharp "Ow! No!", look hurt and ignore your kitten entirely. Don't look at it, don't respond, withdraw toys or hands, nothing to acknowledge the kittens presence. Count to twenty then go back to everything normal as if nothing had happened.

It should take about a week but your kitten will get the idea. The trick is every time and every one must react the same. I did that with all my cats and to this day my four year old gets really upset if he accidentally scratches us and you can be holding the five year old favorite toy, waving it around, with him reaching for it, and no claw will touch your skin.

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Pretty much what Kieka said, but also try to keep the kitten's claws trimmed.

My guys are pretty good, but if I'm holding a toy making them jump for it, they nick me every once in a while and I'll get a little sting if they jump off my lap in a hurry.

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've gotten quicker at dodging and have learned not to blink. :lol:

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She may grow out of this too. She is young, and may not be sure of her balance yet, especially when jumping up and down, or walking on a human :)

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2:
Can we see a picture of your sweet little kitten? :catlove:
How To Add A Picture To Your Forum Post :camera:

About her scratching you with her claws, now's the time to get her used to getting her claws trimmed. Start slowly, and just clip the very tip. You don't want to accidentally clip into the quick, as that will hurt her. Once she's used to you touching her toes, and you're more comfortable you can clip a bit more.

Here's an article with more info: How To Best Take Care Of Cat Claws

Also one on Teach Your Kitten How to Play Nice : The Humane Society of the United States

FlaLadyB

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's interesting that the 6 baby kittens I am fostering, some play with me keeping their claws in, others don't. Yes, I play with them with my hands and fingers and will continue to do so. My smallest came to me at only 9 ounces. She is too small for the others to play with so I play with her a lot myself while she is laying on my chest and the others are playing "king of the mountain" ( I am the mountain). I love it because she lights up when I do. :)