My kitten sleeps only in dark areas

mariamalroha

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've had my kitten for a few weeks now , and he never sleeps on the coach , floor etc... But he only sleeps under the sofa, under tables, behind the refrigerator , under beds. How do i make him get rid of this behaviors? Is he still not adapted to the house? Although he moves around and plays with and communicate very well with me, but he freak out of noise even though if its just the door ring, footsteps, and tv. Is he still afraid? And will he get over this behavior by time?

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
He might change his behavior over time, or he may not. This isn't unusual behavior, though. Some cats love sleeping in dark, enclosed spaces - it makes them feel safe. My brother's cat never sleeps where you can see her - she's always under something, despite being an incredibly social cat with people.

As for startling at noises, again he may always startle, or he may settle in and ignore them over time. My Random still jumps at noises (the doorbell, the dishwasher, the oven timer) and we've had him a little over 2 years now. As long as he doesn't seem overly stressed, he's probably just reacting normally.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That sounds pretty normal to me; especially for a new kitty.  He might need more time to settle in; or it might be his personality.  I had one cat who was skittish her whole life.  She came from a family member so I knew her entire history; it was just how she was!  

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried building little caves for him on the couch?  We did it with pillows or blankets draped from the back over the front and the kitten would crawl inside and sleep.  He is over a year now and will still sleep in his cave sometimes.