My kitten Rocky died during neuter surgery

rocky10

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My Kitten Rocky died this morning.  I came home to call the vet to discover he died on the table after being neutered and hernia repair.  He was 6 months old.  The Vet said they use gas there.. is that normal? 

Last edited by a moderator:

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
I am so sorry to hear about Rocky. We lost one of our rescue kittens when she went in to be spayed this summer due to a fatal allergic reaction to anesthesia. She didn't even make it to the table for surgery.

Iso is a common gas used during neuters. And, yes, I believe this is very common with neuters as the males do not have to be fully anesthetized as females do.

Last edited by a moderator:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How very, very tragic this had to have happened.It's a very rare thing to happen, which brings you no comfort at all, in all my 58 years and knowing of countless spayings and neuterings, I've only known one to have died, and that was 45 years ago. I'm so very sorry for your loss, but remember it was a tragic accident, there was no way for anyone to have known this would happen. Please know you are not alone in your grief, we'll do what we can to lighten your burden. I'm crying now as I think of what you are going through, I wish there was some way to help, but all I can do is offer my heartfelt condolences and tell you I care.Be gentle and patient with yourself, it will take a long time to heal. Your heart is broken, but Rocky will always have a place in it and will never be forgotten. RIP dear little one, wait for family at the Rainbow Bridge!

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry you lost Rocky. What an awful shock. Spay/neuter is such a common surgery these days that it's easy to forget that, like any surgery, there is that risk still.
RIP little Rocky. He had a short life, but at least he was cared for. :rbheart:

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I'm so very sorry for your loss.

It's so rare, but it can happen.

RIP beautiful Rocky

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so very sorry.  Even with all precautions there is always a risk with anesthetic.  I know that doesn't help when your kitty was in that very small group that doesn't make it but you did nothing wrong.  In fact you were doing the right and responsible thing.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry.  I don't know what much about the technical aspects of the procedure, but you did the best you could by your kitten.  

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so, so sorry for your loss.  
  @Denice is right. You were doing the right thing and no one could have seen this coming.

RIP sweet Rocky. 

zorisuzaru

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
what a tragedy!!! i cant imagine what you are going through to have had your sweet angel taken from you so soon. RIP sweet Rocky, you were only here for 6 months but in those 6 months you knew true love.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a terrible tragedy 
   Please know that you were doing the right thing for your precious boy - do not hesitate to PM me, or any one of us, if you need to talk privately.  We, at the TCS family, join you in grieving for your loss of Rocky - and we have many kitties and TCS members on the Other Side who will meet your boy at the Bridge and help him Home.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow, I'm so sorry for your loss. I can't even imagine what you are feeling now.

Please, if you have any thoughts like 'I shouldn't have taken him" type thing, don't do that.

This is a very, very rare thing to have happened, and unpredictable.

I've seen close to 2,000 cats through spays and neuters, and never once did this happen.

My vets also use gas.

Very, very sad, tragic for you.  

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry about your loss of Rocky. It's a very rare occurrence - my sister lost a young dog the same way - and one of those things that's practically impossible to predict. RIP, little Rocky. :rbheart: