My kitten renamed herself

badkelpie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I named my new kitty Kendra. I thought she'd be a sleek shiny, elegant, gentle cat and Kendra seemed to fit that scenario. But her fur is fuzzy, she's short and stubby and a brat. And a little mean
. (and absolutely adorable!) I was having trouble with the name after getting to know her, but figured it'd grow on me.

So I picked her up the other day, I think I was trying to say wittle one, but it came out Win. And it took me a second to realize that wasn't her name. So I tried it, and it totally works. It wasn't until later that I noticed it rhymed with Fin.

So, Fin and Win. I thought about spelling it different, maybe Winn or Wyn, but Win works better with Fin's spelling.

My rats are Ned and Ted, but that was on purpose. At least my dogs don't rhyme.

jane&meow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hehe, I think pets often name themselves really! I've often named them and then decided it really didn't fit

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only problem is that Win and Fin sound alike so you'll get them answering to each others names. Though around here I can't call just one cat anyways, no matter how different their names are.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I like Wynn, too.

When we knew we were getting Mollipop, I kept wanting to call her Bastet. But she didn't look like a Bastet, not in the slightest. When I would go to the vet to spend time with her, I kept trying it and trying it...she was not a Bastet. One night, after I got home from the vet, I was taking a load of laundry down to the basement. And I started singing, "Lollipop, lollipop....." only it came out "Mollipop". And I thought, that's it. She's a Mollipop! The next night when I went down to see her, I suggested Mollipop to her and she started to purr. She was Mollipop from that moment. It's a perfect name for her.

With our Rainbow Banshee, we had started to call her Smudge b/c of the little brown spot on her chin. Smudge wasn't working out. Neither was Spirit, another name we had thought about. One afternoon, she was screaming as she was trying to climb up my pants leg (the Queen B was very good at screaming when she was a kitten) and our son said, "Mom, she's screaming like a banshee!" We looked at each other and DH said he could actually see the lightbulb come on in both our son and me at the same time. And she immediately became Banshee. Later to become The Queen B.

If you give it time, they will often name themselves. Somehow, they'll get it through to you what their names will be.

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad her new name fits her better!
I always have an initial name for our cats when we get them, but it never sticks. The only cat we had whose name stuck from the beginning was Gus. Nora started out as Hemi (hubby nixed that immediately), and Emmett started out as Macy (hubby didn't like that one either lol).