my kitten peed in my bed!

gravy baby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This was the first night I decided to let my kitten (4/5 week old) sleep in my bed. He peed on the bed, other than changing the sheets what do I do? I would love for him to continue to sleep in bed but not peeing in it.

thesighrye

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well...I sure hope you WASH them! 

When we got Bella as a kitten we prohibited her from having water at night for the first few weeks because her only accidents were on our bed. Give that a shot. The cat will definitely survive without water for 8hrs. Also, be sure to clean the litterbox very frequently. If the litterbox is dirty and there they see your soft, appealing, comfortable bed, it's game on. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gravy baby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes I definitely did. The litter box fresh. I think the problem was the beds too high for him to climb down but since I was sleep I didn't know he had to use it.

thesighrye

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Aah that could be it too. Maybe if you have a spare box or crate of some sort you could place it around where you see him trying to jump up/down, that will make it easier

gravy baby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hmmm. Good idea thanks!

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Your kitten is very young.. too young to be away from his mum in an ideal world. 

Please don't deny him water - he's way too young to be deprived of fluid and no cat should unless there is a medical reason.

It makes absolute sense that he has done this as he couldn't get down to the litter box, and you really need to make it very available...  You're his mum now, completely, so you need to teach him like a mother cat would. 

I've asked our advisors who know kittens really well to come and give you some advice.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When my 2 first came home we kept them in a large wire dog crate at night and when we were at work.  They were 11 weeks at the time.  It's very normal for kittens that age and younger to have a few accidents; much like human toddlers.  The dog crate was a good solution for us.  I found it at a discount store.  It was large enough for a small litter box, their bed and food/water.  

If you are ready to let him sleep with you; be sure your room is kitten proofed!  Especially since he is the only one; he may get himself into some mischief before you know it! 

Welcome to TCS! 

Last edited:

gravy baby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is an orphan. I never had a pet before. So I wasn't sure how to handle it thanks so much! :wavey:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

Well...I sure hope you WASH them! 

When we got Bella as a kitten we prohibited her from having water at night for the first few weeks because her only accidents were on our bed. Give that a shot. The cat will definitely survive without water for 8hrs. Also, be sure to clean the litterbox very frequently. If the litterbox is dirty and there they see your soft, appealing, comfortable bed, it's game on. 
Ah, THAT advice I can agree on!    Some cats prefer a somewhat used litter though.   But a dirty one is abhorrent even for the most wellbehaving cats.

So the ideal solution may be, have two litters, one as clean as you can manage it, the other somewhat used with pee (but NOT dirty).

Similiar with water:  have one plate with fresh water,  and one with somewhat stale water.

thesighrye

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just to clarify, I didn't mean that she absolutely shouldn't give the kitten water at night. That's just what WE did, and Bella was considerably a few weeks older than this kitten is, I failed to mention that. She was the appropriate age to be separated from her mother. I wouldn't ever do something that I think would hurt a cat...I love my cats!

Anyway, best of luck in this matter. Just sounds like he needs to grow into that baby belly so he can jump properly! :)

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'll just add my 2 cents.  I think a 4/5 week old kitten is to young with too poor bladder control to sleep all night in your bed.  Get her fully litter box trained and bring her in between 6-8 weeks.

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
I just want to chime in and say that it is never a good idea to withold fluids from a kitten or cat (regardless of age) without bring directed so by a vet.

I also agree with StephenQ that this kitten is too you to sleep in the bed with you. I would suggest crating him at night in your bedroom with a litter box (non-clumping litter ONLY,) a bed/blanket, a few soft toys and food/water.

gravy baby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update: I pulled a chair beside the bed with his litter box in it and no accidents! And I have a California King bed so it's big enough for him to sleep and play in it. Thanks for all the suggestions!