My Kitten Killed Her First Little And Is Pregnant Again Will This Happen Twice?

Jeniiboox3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi my kitten got pregnant right after she turned one year old. She’s an in door out door cat and this is my first time ever owning a cat... she got pregnant and had her baby’s in June, there were 5 of them which was weird because she’s a mini cat she never got very big, they all were fine until exactly one month after birth she killed 2 of them, after that I separated them and my best friends mom took them and bottle fed them but they all passed away within a few days. I was trying to keep her inside until I could get her spayed but she got out and didn’t come home for a few days after that I kept her inside until I noticed she was getting a belly and started to puke around the house, she is now definitely pregnant again. Unfortunately I am so nervous because I have 4 kids and they all love her and we are worried she will kill this second litter as well because we have no clue why she killed the first one. All the kittens were fine and growing. I did notice her nipples were really chapped so I would put vasaline one them and try to help her. I’m not sure what else I can do besides obviously getting her spayed after this and don’t worry I will. I can’t handle burying another litter or hearing her cry all over the house for them. It was really hard on us all and her. If anyone has any answers or can help on any way I would appreciate any advice I can get. Thank you.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She killed them prob because she saw they were dying. The others died although handraised so it was on way.
Moms killing dying kittens is quit common. They try to protect the others. They are good moms!

Genetic fault on these kittens? We dont know.
Probably it wont happen again but the risk is clearly higher then otherwise.

Last edited:

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is more common than you think. Do you have a vet or a clinic lined up to spay her as soon as possible?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jeniiboox3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She killed them prob because she saw they were dying. The others died although handraised so it was on way.
Moms killing dying kittens is quit common. They try to protect the others. They are good moms!

Genetic fault on these kittens? We dont know.
Probably it wont happen again but the risk is clearly higher then otherwise.
But the ones she killed seemed to be the strongest of the bunch honestly.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
But the ones she killed seemed to be the strongest of the bunch honestly.
She probably sensed something you couldn't. That the other kittens died is a clear sign that there was something wrong. It could have been a smell that human noses can't smell or something else.

I know of someone who trapped a feral cat who gave birth to five kittens. The kittens seemed fine but the Mom ignored them all from day one. The Mom was TNRd and the kittens hand raised. Over the course of three weeks all but one of the babies passed away. They had nearly daily vet visits, every blood test imaginable and there was never any indication of what caused them all to fade and die. The survivor only survived because of intense care and it was close. That Mom probably sensed the problem at birth and your cat probably sensed the problem with her kittens as well.

Last edited: