My kitten keeps peeing the bed no matter what. Help...

jeso

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, So I got this kitten (9-10 weeks old) a week an a half a go. Got him his litter box and all, he used it. All good, But I noticed like the 2nd day he came home with me, that He would pee on my bed, just let it out. And I was like, oh no, this is gonna be a problem. After like 3 horribly stressing days of washing the sheets every day sometimes twice a day, I came to the Internets, and found this site, looked around for people with the same issue. I read a few threads, and the most consistent advice I found was, Getting another litter box, put it around the common areas, put it near the bed. Now keep in mind, the kitten has been living in my bedroom only, and the litter box was in the bathroom right? Okay, so I get him another litter box, put it right next to my bed. And Voila! Solved my problems, he started using that litter box mainly for the next 7 days or so. All good. Or so I thought, recently he started peeing on my bed again. It drives me nuts, because, what the hell am I supposed to do now? Like whats the other solution?  Why does he do that? There is a litter box RIGHT NEXT TO THE BED, which he ALWAYS USES ANYWAYS. why would he pee on my bed under those circumstances, its driving me nuts, and I got mad at him, and his locked up on the bathroom as a punishment.

Just for reference, The vet checked him out through and through before I brought him home. I know, they dont usually check for UTI, but I dont think he is sick or anything, he was doing perfect for several days in a row, I think this is an actual behavioral problem.   Please good people of the nets, could you help me out?

Sorry if i sound angry, I'm pretty mad. Maybe because he slashed my arm this morning too, haha. That was accidental though.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How often are you cleaning the litter box? You could also purchase some kitten attract litter to add to his boxes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jeso

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I scoop the litter box like 3 times a day, And right away after he poops.  I guess I will try to add some litter attraction substance. I dont want to change his litter, because, I finally found one he likes, before i got him one that he just wouldn't use, I cautious about wasting money on something he just wont even use, its like a gamble.

I know getting mad doesn't solve anything, people always say that, but, we ain't robots, a bloody scratched arm and a peed on blanket is gonna get a reaction out of me. I think it would get a bad reaction off of anybody...

Last edited:

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
But it's your choice to inflict that reaction on the cat. It's a baby animal that is still learning, and you are shaping his behavior.

It's Dr. Eisley's kitten attract litter. Works very well.

jeso

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hmm okay, I see your point. Well then, what would've been a better response than grounding him? How do you teach a kitten that's something he just did is wrong?  Whats the best approach? how do you discipline your kitten in certain matters? Can you even do that?  Any resources you recommend ?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, first you need to clean where he's peed with an enzyme cleaner. Otherwise he will smell it and think it's a good place to go.

If the kitten bites or scratches you just walk away. Don't pick them up or pet anymore. Just leave the room.

If you see him peeing or about to pee somewhere he shouldn't, put him in the litter box instead. You can also try putting him in there before and after meals as a reminder. And add the kitten attract to his litter. He may also need more than one litter box so one is always in sight.

Lastly, you might want to take him to the vet to be sure he doesn't have a uti or something.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You've had some great advice here already. Dr Elsy's Kitten Attract works wonders in most cases. That would definitely be my next move.

Sometimes with young kittens litter training can take a while to fully click. One option would be to confine him to the bathroom for a few days with LOTS of litterboxes - the idea is to make it virtually impossible for him to get it wrong. Once he's got it he can have his freedom again.

Remember he's only a kitten, and he's not doing this on purpose - he's simply young and, most likely, getting caught short. When young animals get excited they can forget they need to pee until it's too late. It's just part of the process.[article="32366"][/article][article="32493"][/article][article="29678"][/article][article="32341"][/article]

jeso

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey Thanks for the info.  I'll give those articles a read!