My kitten just sleeps all day

persianlover2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Back in November I purchased 2 sibling persian kittens.  They are both 4 1/2 months old now.  The one kitten is large in size while the other is very petite (half they size of her sister).  In the past month or so I noticed the small kitten only gets up to eat, drink or use the litter box.  She does not play or want to be bothered.  If you go up to her she purrs and seems happy.  I do not know if she stays away because her larger sister does attack her when she gets up to eat and digs her claws into her and bites.  But you will find the two of them together cuddled up sleeping together.  About a month ago she had a virual infection (green mucus in her eyes and runny nose)  she still has a runny nose.  I do not know why she is not active.  When she walks down the hall to go to the litter box she walks close to the wall and sits down on occasion and then starts walking again like she is afraid or fatigue.  Any idea what could be wrong with her? 

smitten4kittens

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi and welcome to TCS
. I'm sorry your cat isn't feeling well. Has she had a recent check-up at the vet? I would take her in to check for any health issues, otherwise it will be very hard to tell if her behaviour is health related or due to the other cat sometimes being rough on her.

In the meantime 2 things you could try are L-lysine to help her runny nose and a Feliway plug in to help them play more gentle.

I hope she's feeling better soon.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would get her to a good vet for a full exam!  If she were mine I would also be concerned and would want to know that she doesn't have a cardiac issue or low lying infection w/fever.  She does indeed sound fatigued. She also sounds like a darling little creature..hope you find out what is going on and that she will be on the road to more energy and better days ahead, soon.

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with everyone.  Kittens are known for their boundless energy, not fatique.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

persianlover2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I broght Savannah to the vet and he believes she has feline herpes.  I noticed her sister has the same symptoms with the nose and eyes but her sister is very active.  Anyone know anything about the herpes virus?

smitten4kittens

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
L-lysine works very well to curb outbreaks and prevent them from happening in the first place. Some give it to their cats everyday as maintenance. One of mine had several URI's as a kitten due to herpes. Both my cats take it and haven't had any problems for the last 1 1/2 years.

You can order it on amazon as a powder, flavored pump to add to food or treats. Some pet stores sell l-lysine treats too.

This should help a lot. Stress can also be a factor for outbreaks so a Feliway diffuser could help with that.

Good luck and I hope she's feeling better soon.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

persianlover2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you.  I had to bring her back to the vet again today.  We have noticed that when she walks, she will walk a couple of steps then her leg slides on the ground.  The best way to describe it is as if she were walking and was getting ready to stop to clean herself but doesn't.  The vet doesnt know why she is doing this.  She weighs 2.7 lbs. very petite not like her sister.  We are not sure if she has the feline herpes but the vet gave us eye drops and an antibiotic and some vitamin power to put on her food.  I think I got a bad pick of the litter.  She is only 41/2 months old and I brought her home about 2 months ago.