My kitten just had kittens!!! HELP!!

rkunz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitten just had 2 kittens about 45 minutes ago. Is there anything I need to do for her or the kittens? She is a first timer. Her mother was run over when she was about a month old and I raised her myself. Does she instinctively know what to do?

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

amyscrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try and give her some space in case there are remaining kittens. Check on her, but not so much that she feels intruded on. Some cats are very private and others want their people around. Take your cue from her. If a kitten seems to be in danger them step in. The know what to do instinctively.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As long as momma is feeding and cleaning them you should be okay. Make sure you weigh them everyday so you can keep track if they start loosing weight.

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm taking it that your momma cat is a very young mother...in which case, you will need to keep a close eye on her, and make sure that things are extra comfortable.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For the most part she will know what to do. Some things to watch for:

1. Make sure she has pushed out all the placentas (retained ones can cause emergency surgery/infections). Placentas is what the kittens are born with - the "skin".

2. Make sure she's nursing the kits - if not, they will cry a lot.

3. Keep her confined to a small room or large cage for her safety and the kits.

4. Feed her a top quality kitten food - she will be burning a lot of calories while nursing.

Read up on care of raising kittens so you know the stages they go thru. And when its time to let the kittens go to new homes, make sure they are about 3 months old - that's the ideal time to leave.

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I forgot to finish my post! Anyway, the younger the mother, the more inexperienced and rather naive they can behave with a litter of newborns. You will need to make sure she is calm, comfortable, and the kittens and her are in a confined but cozy space where she doesn't feel threatened. Be prepared with KMR and a bottle if her nursing instincts haven't yet kicked in. I'm sure everything will be fine, just be ready in case!

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by rkunz

My kitten just had 2 kittens about 45 minutes ago. Is there anything I need to do for her or the kittens? She is a first timer. Her mother was run over when she was about a month old and I raised her myself. Does she instinctively know what to do?
Welcome to TCS....you have received very good advice. You need to keep mom indoors only from now until her kittens are weaned at 6 weeks of age and she can be safely spayed. Cats can get pregnant again as early as a week after giving birth and we would like this to be her only litter.

Katie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rkunz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I checked on her off and on until about 11:00 and everyone seemed to be doing great. I went to check on her this morning and there were 5 little guys!
All of them were sleeping and mom was up and about ready to eat and be petted. Thanks for all the advice. It is greatly appreciated.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by rkunz

I checked on her off and on until about 11:00 and everyone seemed to be doing great. I went to check on her this morning and there were 5 little guys!
All of them were sleeping and mom was up and about ready to eat and be petted. Thanks for all the advice. It is greatly appreciated.
Great....are they in their own room that has little traffic?? That is best. Keep us informed on how things go and when it is time to have mom spayed, if you need a low cost clinic let us know and we can find one for you.

Katie

rkunz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They are in a low traffic area and she seems to be very content right now. I plan to have her spayed at the local vet just as soon as she is ready.

rkunz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
About 8-10 months. I'm not 100% sure, but I know she's less than a year.

bella's mama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Congratulations! Poor baby, she is still growing herself and she has babies to feed. Make sure she is getting enough to eat and drink. She is going to need alot of energy. That's a large litter for such a young first time mom to manage. I am glad to hear that she is content. I had one cat that would constantly move her babies all over the house. We were always listening for the cries to find them.

rkunz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She actually acted very strange compared to the other cat I had. She had the first one while sitting at her food bowl. The second came as she was walking around looking for her box. I left her alone thinking that was it and then she came to the door howling looking for me. She stayed there until I came back and stayed with her while she had the next one. I couldn't believe she wanted me there. The other cat ran off and hid and would move everyone around, especially if I found them.

bella's mama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have had cats that want me there and needed my help and I have had ones that need total privacy and need to be left alone. It's nice that she wanted you there. It's a great experience watching them be born.
When they are all settled and Mama will allow it you have to get some pictures for us.