My Kitten Just Got Neutered But Problem With The Other Cats Behavior

Lindsy Tustin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
just got my kitten neutered but he can home today after surgery and his mom, dad and sisters hissed at him why is this? Everyone else is spayed and neutered he was last one and none of them did that before he got it done.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lindsy Tustin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
His smell is temporarily different after spending time at the vet's, where he picked up "foreign" odors. The other cats can also smell the anesthetic and antiseptic used during surgery. This article explains it:

How To Deal With Non-recognition Aggression In Cats
Oh OK thank you very much but now his mom his mom is hissing and smacking the other cats when he isn't even near any of then what does that mean

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
She's upset by his smell and taking it out on the other cats. That's known as redirected aggression: https://thecatsite.com/threads/redirected-aggression-in-cats.283093/

Your best bet would be to keep him separate from the others till he's fully over the anaesthesia, then take a towel, rub it on the others, then rub him with it before putting him back in with them. That'll make him smell more normal to them.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It means that she is agitated and upset by his different smells ands it is scaring her to the point she is displaying redirected aggression. That means she will attack ANYTHING or ANYBODY that comes into her space right now because she can't identify or understand the enemy. So she perceives everything as a threat. and strikes out. She will be fine in time, a lot of cats do this when they see a strange cat through the window. They will attack anything that comes near out of fear. She is not being aqgressive, she is reacting with fear to the unknown.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lindsy Tustin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It means that she is agitated and upset by his different smells ands it is scaring her to the point she is displaying redirected aggression. That means she will attack ANYTHING or ANYBODY that comes into her space right now because she can't identify or understand the enemy. So she perceives everything as a threat. and strikes out. She will be fine in time, a lot of cats do this when they see a strange cat through the window. They will attack anything that comes near out of fear. She is not being aqgressive, she is reacting with fear to the unknown.
Thank you I read the article I'm the other thing