My Kitten is Pregnant!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dr. doolittle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Gailail- No where in Cassies posts did she state that her vet told her NOT to have the cat spayed. Her vet is understanding of her fears- I responded because these fears are not based in medical fact.

Cassie- By extreme lethargy I mean that the animal collapses in the reception area of the clinic or the parking lot. These reactions occur with in 15-45 minutes of the vaccine being administered and result in death without treatment. You cat had a normal vaccine reaction.

cjandbilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gailail

i think she trying to talk her mom in to letting her be spayed
I don't know... they way she said it, her mom was pretty adament about no abortions.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by CJandBilly

That's her question.
That was addressed sometime back in the post....many posters suggested she get the female fixed. Her mom was against that..then there was a whole subset discussion about brother/sister mating that lead here. So, her initial questions were addressed.

Katie

cjandbilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Then why didn't Billy have anything like a reaction as CJ did? As far as I see it, CJ's reaction was not normal, no matter how many cats have bad reactions.

dr. doolittle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Every animal is different. It is possible that Billy had a similar reaction but his behaviour was different so you didn't notice. Some animals have a reaction on the first vaccine, some to their boosters.
When my tech class was vaccinated for rabies, some people never felt ill. Some got VERY sick. Some got sick on the virst vaccine, some on the second. I got really sick on the third and the symptoms lasted for a few days.

gailail

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by TNR1

That was addressed sometime back in the post....many posters suggested she get the female fixed. Her mom was against that..then there was a whole subset discussion about brother/sister mating that lead here. So, her initial questions were addressed.

Katie
in that case not you think its fair the have this thread closed as not fair on cassie everyone judging her

gailail

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dr. Doolittle

Every animal is different. It is possible that Billy had a similar reaction but his behaviour was different so you didn't notice. Some animals have a reaction on the first vaccine, some to their boosters.
When my tech class was vaccinated for rabies, some people never felt ill. Some got VERY sick. Some got sick on the virst vaccine, some on the second. I got really sick on the third and the symptoms lasted for a few days.
i do my jabs my self because you can do it uk i buy it from vet and give it to kittens at right time

and have all been fine

cjandbilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dr. Doolittle

Billy ran and jumped and skipped and played, and pigged out, and drank, and was perfectly normal. They are littermates, too. It's just how I feel. I don't want to get her spayed, so she will not get spayed because of the way I feel, and as far as I see it, she's my cat, and I will do how I feel. Not meaning it rudely, but, that's my view, here, and it's futile to convince me to do something that I feel endangers CJ's life.

So, Jelani, how's it all going? Have you and your mother made a decision yet?

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

i do my jabs my self because you can do it uk i buy it from vet and give it to kittens at right time

and have all been fine
Lucky you...I quit doing kitten shots soon after(when I was having litters as part of a breeding program) having a kitten (only one out of the 3 siblings I did that day reacted) have a reaction to his felv vaccine - high fever, extreme lethargy, rapid breathing - all in under an hour. He pulled through, and for the next couple of years, would receive vaccines at the vets, with benadryl (an antihistamine).

It just took one experience of almost losing one very special baby - who went on to have a major impact on his breed thanks to one son he sired - to decide I'd rather have shots at the vets and give my kitten buyers the knowledge that their babies had had several full exams.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There is concern in giving your own shots as well. VAS is a concern, certain vaccines should be introduced while at room temperature, are you giving live or dead vaccines? All those issues need to be researched prior to giving shots just to "save money." If it costs the life of the animal what have you gained?

gailail

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
oh well all us breeders do it here its normal i was shown how to do it by vet first i didn't just buy them and do it and i have been doing it for years now and also i do my friends

loveysmummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

oh well all us breeders do it here its normal i was shown how to do it by vet first i didn't just buy them and do it and i have been doing it for years now and also i do my friends
All breeders in England give their own vaccination shots?
That doesn't sound like a James Herriott story to me

But seriously, what do you do if a cat has a reaction within 10 minutes or so and the vet isn't there to treat?

Status
Not open for further replies.