My kitten is having kittens.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katwithcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I won't receive her until after 5:30pm CST. They are a spay/neuter clinic. It's all they do, I was on a waiting list for a month so they're very schedule oriented due to their high volume. I'll respond to everyone then. I appreciate the support.

katwithcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

It's almost 9:00pm CST, I just took the above picture. Key is finally sitting next to me, kneading and purring.

They said everything went very smoothly and FIV/Leuk negative. She's fixed, up to date on shots, rabies, microchipped, you name it. It looks like the spay clinic did a good job on stitching her up. There's barely any sag and not stretched tight at all.

Key already started licking the incision area as soon as she was released from the carrier. So, she loathes the collar of shame by waddling backwards or sitting on her back legs trying to use her front to get it off. I threaded her collar through the loops to stabilize the cone a bit more. When I got her home, everything that was normally pink was stark white. She hasn't drank any water yet. I got her the Blue Buffalo "Sensitive Stomach" dry food to mix with her regular food and she ate about a third of a cup. The clinic said it could be just her since every fecal test has been negative. Would Blue Buffalo just be too rich?

@bigperm20 Thank you again. I was a mess last night and your words really did help a great deal.

@LolaSky Thankfully, everything did! I am SO happy that the surgery and tests went well. Best to you and yours.

@AbbysMom Ha. i would been likely to do the same. This clinic does tattoos on the bellies for fixing, I'll have to keep that in mind if I cross anymore strays. Honestly, my hesitation was because she was a week or two from delivery and being able to feel them on her sides. I was humanizing the situation a lot and I've had a stressful week. It was just a lot. I'm glad everything worked out. Thank you.

@Mum2Daisy That's very kind of you to say. I can say sleep has definitely helped calm "me."

@fluffybeard Thank you for the support. It was definitely tough. I've requested gift cards to the spay/neuter clinic for my birthday to get the strays/ferals on my street done.

@tulosai Thank you for your advice when I first posted. Contacting all the places I did definitely assured me that the clinic did know what they were doing. They've done over 17,000 spay/neuter surgeries as of August 2013.

happybird

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am very pleased and relieved the surgery went well! :clap: I have been following your thread and was anxious to hear how it went. Excellent news about her negative test results, too! :bigthumb:
If she is not drinking, you might want to try some canned food with some water mixed in to make it a soupy consistency. And the canned food has a lot of moisture in it already and smells very tasty to kitties. Her belly may be upset as an after effect from the anesthesia drugs and if they gave her an antibiotic shot (they probably did).
I am so happy for you both! :D

Last edited:

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad it went so well. I had both of my girls fixed at a local Spay/Neuter clinic. I have a friend who is a vet-tech there, and she highly recommended the place as it's "all they do" so to speak. IMHO, these are some of the best places in the US to have a cat fixed as the vets who work there are very well trained in fixing animals.  We're very lucky to have these resources in the states, as I often hear from other members that they aren't available in many places elsewhere.

Beans and Oksana were back on their feet (and into mischief) very quickly. I didn't have to E-collar Oksana as she's pretty low key, but Beans was a handful as a kitten. I used the E-collar to make sure she didn't hurt herself jumping up on something.

katwithcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
@happybird "was anxious to hear.." You and me both! She is drinking. Her mouth is slightly pale still but her appetite is healthy (not quite devouring as she normally does.) The Sensitive Stomach formula seems to be really helping her stomach. All bowel movements seem fine and no more gas. I am so happy also, thank you.

@bigperm20 True. I donated an extra amount when picking her up from the clinic. I'll hopefully be volunteering. (I twisted my ankle and pulled something in my foot the day before her fixing. Very stressful week for hop-along here!) Key hasn't been "low Key." Since she got home, she's struggled with being drugged. She absolutely required the E-collar. It's mildly funny because she's learned a new term, "HEAD UP!" She gets caught on the carpet with her cone..

Overall, she's pepped up a bit. She's affectionate in a very gentle way. She's accepting the E-collar more as I take it off when she eats (feeding just doesn't happen with the collar) and pop it back on as soon as she goes after her stitches. They're dissoluble. I moved the mattress down to the floor with a thick mat next to it so she can climb up easier. Her only issue seems to be using the litter box, she doesn't really turn but walks backwards to turn. It's only when she wears the E-collar.

One more question, we have another cat who I've separated (and hasn't forgiven me.) How many days should I wait until bringing them together again? A week?

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't separate my kitties when they were fixed. Did the clinic recommend that? The main thing is to keep them from wrestling (i.e. bunny kicking) each other. If they get along pretty well, I don't see why you shouldn't try it. Just keep an eye on them. 

katwithcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah, it's impossible for them to be together. The bigger male tries to treat her like a toy. She doesn't seem to like him either. However, the male has been lunging at her going for the throat or belly.

Her e-collar is causing lots of litter box issues. Lots. She cannot have her e-collar off as her stitches are the first thing she tries to tear into. I did a diluted peroxide solution and triple antibiotic (neosporin) to help the mild inflammation as suggested by one of the vet techs. Now, she helplessly licks the inside of the e-collar trying to get at her incision area repeatedly.

I'm going to have to take her to the vet soon. It's been a nightmare and I don't know what else to do.