My Kitten Has Had Diarrhea For Weeks

Beccawyn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitten Oliver has had diarrhea since we got him about 5 weeks ago. He's been on Floggl (sp?) twice, with limited success the first time. We've had his fecal tested twice, coming back negative both times. We moved him from purina, to a limited ingredient diet, to imes, which we started Saturday. However, nothing seems to help him. And the vet doesn't know what's wrong. Any suggestions?

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
What color is the diarrhea? Did they give Albon and Panacur? I know you said they have fecal tested but sometimes its hard to find some of those parasites. You can also try mixing a probiotic like Fortiflora into wet food daily!
Hope this helps!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Overall advice, not really medical: Probiotic is good, even a mild plain yoghurt, preferably with lactobacillus and bifidus bacteria addes, is a good idea.
Raw goats milk may work too.

With much diarrhea, there is a big drainage of fluids and electrolytes. So I would suggest a clear pedialyte for babies. Or you can make some at home, for example using as base minerale water, which contains lotsa of different salts.

You meant Flagyl.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree that your kitten needs Albon and Panacur. It should clear it.

Your vet can also give you an anti-diarrheal medicine for relief in the meantime.

You definitely want to offer clear pedialyte.

How old is your kitten and how much does it weigh?

Are you giving wet food? Kittens need it. You can mix in a teaspoon of plain, canned pumpkin, which cats usually love. It serves to add bulk and firm stools.

As said, not all parasites show up, and it also could be bacterial.

Hopefully you can pick up prescriptions today and get them started.