My Kitten Died

wendy horne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello there, I'm hoping you can help me. I have 2, 10 month kittens, Murphy and Olly. Murphy was ran over by a car and died on Sunday. We are absolutly devastated, so is Olly, he's not eating that much and keeps going round the house and disappering outside to look for him. We were thinking about getting another kitten to give him company and to make him feel better but I don't know if that will make him feel worse I really don't want that. I wish he could tell me and I would get another one straight away. Does anyone have any experience of this or any ideas.

thanks Wendy

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wendy i'm so very sorry for your loss
Sadly this sort of thing happens with outdoor kitties

Play happily over the bridge Murphy. I'm sure by now you've made lots of new friends with all the other TCS kitties that have passed over

Heres a link to a thread i've found, but if you type " Grieving cats " in the search button at the top right hand corner in the behaviour forum theres a few more threads there for you to read.

Any problems just send me a pm

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...=grieving+cats

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Condolences on the tragic loss of Murphy. Olly may indeed like a kitten, but the youngster needs to be younger than Olly, and Olly needs to be recognized at the cat with the seniority. To be sure, there will most likely be the customary hisses & bats to make sure the young upstart knows his boundaries, but olly will prob. enjoy watching the kitten antics. Even getting 2 might be fine. After I lost my Miss Toby, Icy & Sal were both depressed, but a stray came in thru the cat door; at first they hissed at her, but by morning were thoroughly amused.

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have heard that you shouldn't get a new kitty right after losing one...as Ollie is still looking for Murphy, and might blame his loss on the new kitty. I am very sorry for your loss. May Ollie bring you comfort.

Be sure Ollie eats something everyday. Cats can't tolerate not eating. If he is reluctant, try chicken or turkey baby food (with no onion or garlic). And maybe you should consider keeping him inside, at least until he adjusts to the loss of his brother!

Rest in peace, Murphy.

huggles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
playing happily darling

In regards to whether or not to get another companion for your remaining kitty - my advise is its always better for them to be in pairs - but more importantly, follow your heart

captiva

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sorry about Murphy's death. If you are ready to adopt another cat, I think you should follow your heart on what you feel is best for Ollie right now. I agree with the previous post about adopting a younger kitten.

peachytoday

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss. Follow your heart about adopting anouther kitten and remember you have to grieve as well. I will hold you in my thoughts through this difficult time.

Tricia

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry to hear this. I think you need to be ready for a new cat, and not just get one for Ollie, or it could be a disaster. And in the meantime, spend lots of quality time cuddling him and encouraging him to eat. RIP Murphy.

krazycatlover

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am soo sorry for your lose. It is soo hard to lose a pet and not everyone understands that.
I think a new pet would be good as well for myself i would wait a little while to get over th lose of the one cat. I would say do what you feel is right.

I bet it would be good for your other cat to have a new friend.