my kitten biting :(

smilexcindy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitten is 10 weeks old and I noticed at around 8/9 weeks she started to bite really hard. I know that you're supposed to put them down so show them that the play time has stopped but she'll climb right back up and attack my hands and it really hurts. I don't know how to curve this behavior and I make sure I play with her a lot but she still bites.

emadams95

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Since she's so young she's probably still learning what kinds of play are "good" or not. Good being, whatever you reinforce in her! Whenever she bites your hand, give a stern NO and maybe a light swat on the butt if she keeps trying. You want her not to associate biting your hand with good things. When you do get to play with her properly, try giving small treats to reinforce that this is what she should play with!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

smilexcindy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I also don't know what to do since when I'm sleeping she will always wake me up by jumping on me or biting my hand. Does using a water spray bottle work? (as long as she doesn't know it's me doing it)

emadams95

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I might recommend playing with her even more during the day so she's more likely to sleep through the night, as well as making her last meal right before bed (and after a heavy play session)! Make sure you have different kinds of toys like wands that you use to engage her and solo play toys like mice, balls, catnip toys, etc. for her to bat around. After a play session she should be tuckered out and want to lay down!

As for the spray bottle, it does work for some people as a training technique. As for waking you up in the night biting your hands, I would try the more rigorous play time first and see if that helps her sleep through the night before turning to the spray bottle! Good luck with your kitten, you should post some pics if you can, I'd love to see her!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

smilexcindy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Should I play roughly with her? Or does this encourage bad behavior because I notice that even when I grab her toy to play with her she'll play with it but also grab at my hand and when I dry to shove her away from my hand she gets even more excited to attack my hand

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No! Don't ever let her play with your hands. It's cute while she's little but a huge problem when she's older. Redirect to a toy and walk away if she attacks. Do not play rough.

emadams95

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Should I play roughly with her? Or does this encourage bad behavior because I notice that even when I grab her toy to play with her she'll play with it but also grab at my hand and when I dry to shove her away from my hand she gets even more excited to attack my hand
Definitely try to avoid the rough play! For a kitten, she gets into her play mode and she thinks that the world is her play/attack toy, including your hand. She will learn as she gets older that toys are for playing and hands are for petting, as long as you don't encourage the hand biting! If she won't let go of your hand when you try to pull it away, that would be a time to give a light butt swat and say NO, since that should get her to let go of you. It all takes time! Even sometimes my five year old cat gets confused and will try to attack my hand, but you say no and either walk away or find a different toy! You might also try more wand toys if you're not using those already because it will put your hand a little further back from the action!