My Junior Male Cat Went Outside Today And Won't Come To Me

Chris777

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a male cat he is not fixed, stray cats come and go and under my house... my house is open underneath, sadly foundation has vents in block where cats and get under there. A few cats have taken up residence until I can sort them out. Today I let my male cat go out on the porch, but he ran off. He was born outside, on this property, his mother and sister come and go outside. I brought him inside when he was about 10 weeks old. He is probably 6 months old now and he has been inside ever since. When he started running off porch I called to him to come back inside but he just took off... and ran under my house. I think there are couple females in my neighborhood in heat and one is under my home... they sadly come and go under my house nothing I can do about it right now far to many odd opens. Similar with males the coming and going...

I have seen him once since he ran off. I see him on my back patio, I called to him but he ran under my house!? Why would he not come to me? I have opening where my water hose is that's where he ran. I looked inside he seen me but would not come to me. I don't know why? He has been outside for about 7-8 hours. Its getting close to bedtime, I am pretty worried, was it stupid to let him go outside? I have let my other cats out and they come right back inside but he darted?! I do not understand and not sure how to handle this one. I let his brother go outside but he comes right back in... his brother likes to go outside and hiss at other cats and eat with them when I feed strays. This is the first time Sam has been outside however since I brought him inside.

I have tried can of tuna, I have tried temptations, I have tried catnip, I have called to him many many times, circled my house looking everywhere, got into my crawl space, under my house is to tight for me to fit but I got under far as I could and called to him... NOTHING. He will not acknowledge me. He is super friendly cat, and my pal, he follows me around constantly, I never expected him to just take off like that nor just completely not respond to me.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi - welcome and thanks for coming here!!
When you do catch him, you really should get him neutered. It sound as though with this cat, if you want to keep him indoors you'll have to be more vigilant.
With the unspayed females in the area and under the house etc, you may just have to wait it out. Ironically enough if you stop looking, he'll probably show up.
Good luck!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Chris777

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the reply. I have been reading it seems its a waiting game... but I feel maybe he is just scared? then again he is a male. Also why would he ignore me and not come to me? There are aggressive males that come and go as well, I am scared they may drive him off? but none of the males I see that come and go everyday have vanished but Sam has been inside cat I fear he may be stressed out and scared for his life right now? Then again, if thats the case why would he ignore me.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Have you heard cats yowling at each other? If not, he's fine. However if you have heard, or do hear, yowling you may want to check things out and see what's happening.

Chris777

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There is one male that is stray he runs from me he is big he at times attacks the other males but I don't think its super serious at this point in time. The males swat each other from time to time but for most part they rub noses and sit together and eat together. I have yet to hear any loud screaming or fighting, but to your question I heard a low brief yowl once under my house but when I went outside it stopped and I have not heard a peep since.

Chris777

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
However he yowled often inside my house... I never understood why he would do it. I had been to the vet, he isn't sick... maybe he was bored in here? maybe he is wanting a mate?

Chris777

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
All I know it I am pretty worried not gonna get much rest tonight, seriously blaming myself on this one. I feel super terrible at the moment.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi - I'm sorry, I had to sign off in a bit of a hurry last night.
What happened? Are you reunited?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At that age, he may have just been having too much fun to come to you, knowing you'd make him come home ;). He's a bit young for mating; most males don't get interested in that until 8 or 9 months, but some cats do develop earlier. I think he'll come home when he's hungry.

Chris777

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Nope first thing this morning I got up and went out and looked for him nothing... he is no where to be found. I know its just a cat but I am pretty upset like losing a child, he wasn't interested in going outside I shouldn't have pressed the issue but I didn't know he would act like this I have never had a cat to just up and vanish in just a few seconds. I mean someone told me he is scared and stressed out from being outside? That makes me worry 1000x more because I am really beating myself up right now emotionally. This is a cat that's followed me from room to room for months now, there when I first wake up in the morning to just vanished into thin air not even a peep. Underneath my has is a maze, old duct work, crawl spaces, its vast area to cover... I got under there today but its like finding a needle in a haystack no hope of finding him if he is under my house.

Today I feel worse than yesterday I am most worthless human ever wish I had a time machine... I would have never put him on the porch. My cousin has 3 cats he lets them go out and they come back at dark been doing that for years. I was hoping Sam would go outside maybe he all his marking out until I have $300 to get him fixed but he just vanished. I think he is terrified and under my house somewhere hide. I read cats can only go 3 days without food before they develop sickness... I am worried myself to death today.

Chris777

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry for bad typing I am stressed out bad and I can't find a way to calm myself now... I have anxiety.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
I am most worthless human ever
No you aren't - you had no way of knowing that this cat would be different in his actions/behavior.
You've been feeding him - I also think that he'll be back for that. Hang in there, ease your mind/heart.

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ok Chris time to chill a little. Your fighting his hormones. It’s like “let’s see, Chris...pretty girl cat?” Pretty girl cat wins for now but he will return for food and your kind of love soon.

$300 for a neuter? Pretty high to me. Check with no kill shelters, cat rescue groups or people in your area. The vets know who they are so call around. They probably have “clinics” or a voucher to get that done cheaper. When, not if, he returns have your homework done and be ready to take him.

Don’t beat yourself up even if you hadn’t let him out if he’s in that mood he would probably have bolted out when you opened it sometime. He was born there, knows you has friend and you supply the food.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Chris. Don't feel bad. He's just having too much fun with his buddy cats to come in. Demi escaped once and he was playing with the neighbor's cat in the woods for 2 days. When I called him, he looked the other way and pretended he didn't even know me! Try a plate of dry food. That's what I did, and it worked, I grabbed him while he was eating with his claws facing away from me. Maybe wear gloves too. I wouldn't worry too much, maybe he'll catch mice outside to eat. Neuter only costs $65 in NY.

Chris777

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for kind words. I dunno why its so expensive here. I can't get any assistance either I have called humane society to see if I can get some help. Problem with feeding him when I put food out 5-6 strays show up to eat. I think he is scared of the stray males? I am unsure. I am going to go somewhere, I don't even wanna be in this house its constant reminder. I hate to worry everyone with my troubles but no one I know likes cats as much as I do... I have been feeding strays for years. I have ended up with 6 cats inside, 5 now :( because I feel bad for them. I know these cats know I feel terrible because all 5 were sitting with me on the couch, I can't watch TV even nothing gives me joy all I can do is think of Sam and be fearful for his sake. I hope he is out there having fun but apart of me feels like he is hiding under my house terrified. Ugh okay enough with the worrying I got to get my mind into a better place. I wish I had like bunch of people to help me look for him but most people here hate cats which makes my situation 1000x worse.

Chris777

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I FOUND HIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Holy cow! I never thought id see my friend again. I have money in saving I am taking him to get him fixed this week, even if it costs alot I am very very happy. You guys were only ppl I had to talk to along the way that understands I want to thank each and everyone one of you, Furballsmom you words really helped.