My indoor only got out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

panda 925

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There was another cat outside my living room window. Bagheera, was growling and howling and busted through the screen . Now he's outside all alone for the first time in his life. Needless to say, I'm a wreck! I've put his favorite blanket out on the porch, a long with a small bowl of food and water. I've also spread some "gently used" litter from his box around the house (as suggested by many websites.) In the morning I'll be making up colored flyers. Is there anything else that you guys can suggest. Aside from human trapping. He's my best friend.. feeling lost..

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh I'm sorry Bagherra escaped.

I would go out in the next hour or two (cats hunt right around daybreak/sundown) with a flashlight and shine it along / behind bushes and any sewer/water drains that are close to your house.  Cats' eyes reflect off the light.  The rule of thumb is that the cat is less than 100 feet from where it escaped from.  So, look close.

It's chilly now (I live in Annapolis), so also look in any kind of enclosed/partially enclosed space where it might be slightly warmer.  It can be small--if the cat can fit its head in an opening, it can fit its entire body.

Put out SMELLY food (warm it); in this weather, change/reheat frequenly.

Put of partially used litter outside, kind of close to the food.

Also, put out something smelly of yours and your cat, like a t-shirt/blanket.

Good luck, and DO keep us updated.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

panda 925

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Still waiting to hear from Bagheera. I've set out warmed food, spread some used litter around the house, his favorite blanket is out on the porch. We've made up some colored flyers to post around the neighborhood. But I figured I'd give it a day or so before posting the flyers. I live in a mobile home community, and they are surprisingly strict about posting not posting ANY sort of flyers about ANYTHING.. yard sales, lost pets, even neighbor kids lawn mowing service.

panda 925

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was just outside looking around the perimeter of my house with a flash light and found out that the animal responsible for my cat busting through the screen was not a cat at all, but rather a large raccoon that lives under my neighbors shed. I only assumed it was another cat, I never actually saw a cat. I feel as though until the Raccoon is caught and removed, Bagheera will not come home. I will be contacting the SPCA first thing in the morning to get a humane trap.. I would hate to have to take matters into my own hand as far as removing this raccoon. I am a true animal lover.. However if it means bringing my best friend home, I will not hesitate.

panda 925

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Got a trap from a neighbor I met while posting flyers! Baited it with Chick-a-fila! Whenever we eat there it is a guarantee the trash can will be flipped over the next morning. Just baited it up and set the trigger. Hopefully tomorrow there will either be a Raccoon, or my little buddy.. fingers crossed.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If the chick fil a doesn't work- try canned mackerel from the grocery store on a bed of food he's familiar with. The mackerel (in the tuna aisle) is really smelly so cats smell it from quite the distance. Cover the trap one 3 side so the he'll be less afraid of entering the trap. Even place a (small, soft only)toy she loves at the far end that he's familiar with. If you can possibly get two traps I'd do one right where he got out....and another back around another side of your building in case he ran blindly, but didn't want to totally leave what's slightly familiar. Call for him often!!!! Even if its through the screen windows when you're inside! We once had a totally indoor cat get out, evade all trapping, searching, etc--only to have her show up days later at a screen window during a tv show she'd heard me watch a lot!!!! In the meantime-xerox (color if possible) your best photo of her along with description of physical/traits (a very small reward never hurts)& phone #--- post on all nearby phone posts, put in neighbors mailboxes/door frames in at least a 5 block radius (tell them to CALL & keep an eye on her till you get there ---NOT to catch unless you know she'll go to strangers or she'll spook further), & also post flyers at all vets, animal clinics, shelters --even grocery stores, schools, walmarts etc. And put the flyer up on your Facebook page & ask all to spread it! Don't forget to call all the shelters ASAP in case someone picked her up!!!!

You probably know most of these-but if just one works thats great!!!! Keep us posted-we've all got fingers crossed!

panda 925

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The problem with having an all black cat is there are so many of them running around. And when people see them they assume it's yours.. Then I have all the neighborhood kids calling my cell phone with ZERO information, just to ask "how much is that reward!?" I ditched the idea of catching him with a trap,  the food I baited it with went untouched for two nights, which only means that he went for two nights - cold and with no dinner.  I'm leaving his food and water on the porch. Something is coming up on the porch every night eating his food. But  that just maybe the raccoon that chased him away in the first place. I'm a wreck.. I'm trying so hard to stay positive but it's getting harder and harder every day that passes.. I just want Bagheera home, I'm so worried about him.

-Bobby

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I' know what it's like when your cat is missing.  One of ours got outside accidentally and was missing was 3 full weeks.  I honestly thought I would never see her again, but still every morning and evening before and after work I would go all through the neighborhood calling her name.  One day I heard her meowing back
.  She was right next door, under our neighbors large deck. 

I'm hoping your story will end as well as ours.  In the meantime, here is a thread with some helpful information on finding a lost cat:  http://www.thecatsite.com/t/248019/tips-for-finding-a-lost-cat

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hi Bobby,

I'm so sorry to hear that Bagheera is missing. I know you must be worried about him being out in the rain but look at it this way: Cats are really smart, he will have found somewhere to shelter and at least with all those puddles around he'll have something to drink.

You also mentioned that kids keep calling you just to ask how much the reward is. One of the pet detectives suggested I make signs for my lost cat that state how much reward you are offering. I know a lot of sites recommend that you DON'T do that but if you offer around $100 (Enough to get people's attention but not enough to attract the wrong kind of attention) it will mean you get more genuine calls.

I really hope he comes home soon.

happybird

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't know if this will be reassuring at this point, but I wanted to tell you that my Sammy Dude got out once and was gone for 21 days. He was tired and hungry but ok when he finally came back. I think he had a most excellent time :-/
I hope your little guy is home soon, it sounds like you are doing everything you possibly can. Hang in there and don't give up hope. Sending you big vibes.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Not a good idea to leave his food on the porch overnight.  As you said, it is attracting some other critter.

You can try sitting on your porch with the food and softly calling his name.  If you have any sounds he's used to hearing or nicknames, use them too.  Just sit quietly for an hour or so.  Your presence will keep the other critters away and if Bagheera is within hearing, he may be frightened until he hears you.  Once you go in, take the food with you.  He's not getting to it anyway, so there's no sense leaving it out.

They may actually want to get the raccoon out of the park - most trailer parks aren't thrilled at having raccoons and skunks around.  What did the SPCA say - did they send anyone out?

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hope you havent given up hope-like someone else, i too had a cat disappear once that returned almost 2 weeks later (skinny & bedraggled-but alive!). We also had a neighbor whose cat disappeared for over 2 weeks & it turned out she'd been huddling in a woodpile near their house at night -& was being fed by a neighbor during the day.

Please keep checking with local shelters -and if possible do it IN PERSON! i used to work at a shelter, & i know first hand that shelter workers get so overwhelmed that even the best workers promise to check for a cat & forget, or the sheet with your cat's info on it doesnt get checked often (particularly if its a color-like black-that doesn't stand out. Don't be afraid to make yourself a pest at every local shelter -& call vet's too.

Did you end up actually trying a live humane trap? If you dont know how to use one, talk to your local humane society or even an organization that does TNR (theyre pretty helpful with suggestions on luring scared cats into traps-& may even have people who will actually come help you -ours does).

If it would turn out a kindly unaware neighbor is feeding her-it could take awhile for her to wander back down ---& she may need to be tempted out with something super tempting. I swear canned mackerel is about as sure-fire as it gets. As you've learned-don't leave food out overnight (DO leave water though!) as you'll absolutely attract wildlife anytime much after dusk.

I know getting calls is annoying-but repost new flyers. People "stop looking" at one they've seen before-& you never know when something will trigger someone's memory!

Again-good luck & keep us posted. We're all thinking happy thoughts for BOTH of you!

panda 925

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Been a LONG time since I posted on TCS. But I wanted to thank everyone who helped me through this tough time in my life.
I did end up catching Bagheera after 6 long weeks with the help and tips from the people on this thread. And for that, I am eternally grateful.

A few weeks ago I lost Bagheera unexpectedly. He was my very best friend, and I will mourn the lost of my little home boy for a long time.

Thank you all for the extra 3 years you gave me with Bagheera.

-1Love

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Been a LONG time since I posted on TCS. But I wanted to thank everyone who helped me through this tough time in my life.
I did end up catching Bagheera after 6 long weeks with the help and tips from the people on this thread. And for that, I am eternally grateful.

A few weeks ago I lost Bagheera unexpectedly. He was my very best friend, and I will mourn the lost of my little home boy for a long time.

Thank you all for the extra 3 years you gave me with Bagheera.

-1Love
I'm so glad you eventually caught him and were able to spend another three years together. But I'm incredibly sorry you lost Bagheera suddenly a few weeks ago. He will always be in your heart. I recently lost my "soul cat" as well, so I understand the pain you are feeling.

Status
Not open for further replies.