My indoor only cat Jonny is getting urinary blockages over and over, and might be put down

Fledge

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
First time the emergency vet cathetered him to clear the blockage, they said it's idiopathic cystitis (unknown cause) and sent him home with Prazosin and Pregabalin. After a week of dribbling urine and looking uncomfortable he was obstructed again, so we brought him back and they did the same thing. Now he's at home and he's blocking again, after thousands in expenses my Dad is already talking about just putting him down, I'm so scared for my little boy. 😞

At home I've already isolated him in a room from any stressors, put in a water fountain, a Feliway diffuser, sprayed calming spray, put in a new litter box with a new brand of litter, put him on prescription urinary canned wet food, hand syringed water, vacuumed and put in fresh blankets every day, sprayed around the house to keep other animals away, even tried homeopathic stuff like apple cider vinegar, marshmallow root, electrolytes, etc., nothing seems to work. He was constipated last night and hasn't eaten since yesterday, along with some very subtle involuntary spasms (now I'm worried he might have hyperkalemia).

What more can I do? 😞 I want to avoid perineal urethrostomy if it can be helped, but we just can't go on like this. Is there anything I could be missing? I'm thinking maybe trying a different vet with different treatment protocols, but that's all I can think of at this point.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm so sorry you're dealing with this. You sound like a wonderful cat parent!
How long has it been since the vet visits? Does he like the prescription food and eat it willingly? Wet food is very good for urinary issues, you could even add a little bit of water to his meals if he'll eat it that way. What kind of electrolytes are you giving him, and how much?
If he is constipated, can you expand his area away from stressors so he can move around? Movement can help constipation problems, and in some cases help prevent them. You are doing a great job and it sounds like you're really being proactive in doing all you can to help him.
Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease (flutd) - TheCatSite
Everything You Need To Know About Constipation In Cats - TheCatSite
Stress in Cats - The Ultimate Guide - TheCatSite
Here are some articles that might have some more information for you. I don't have a lot of experience with urinary issues in cats, but I'm sure others will be along to offer their advice. :)

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
What more can I do?
I agree with the above poster, give your cat more water to drink. A catheter and medications by the vet will also help your cat to pass urine and UTI may take several days to be resolved. Keep him hydrated and yes, when a cat has blockages, their appetite will fall. Try enticing him to eat with low sodium tuna juice (even if it says low sodium, the sodium is still vey high).. Drizzle a little over his wet food. This is only a temporary measure to get your cat to eat.

Feed him wet food instead of dry food.

Hope your cat gets well soon.

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~ I had a cat with similar issues. I gave him subcutaneous IV hydration a few times per week. This kept him well for quiet some time.
Your experience with veterinarians sounds similar to mine — unsatisfactory treatment/ big expense ! Very sad ... 😔

jclark

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Did the vet look at the amount of bacteria in the urine and rule out a UTI? If not the cat may need to go on a course of antibiotics of sufficient strength.

Food changes can take a couple of weeks before you'll notice a benefit.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm also going to buy appetite stimulants and a couple packs of fortiflora til the advita probiotic arrives.