My house is a pigsty

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
No, really it is a mess! I'd be embarrassed for someone to come by. :anon:

Always at one point in the summer it gets like that. I have been spending all of my free time outside doing yard work or painting. When we actually get a rainy day I catch up on all of the errands I have to do. Yesterday I cleaned a small area of the kitchen. It's noticeable how much nicer it looks compared to everything else. :sigh: We go on vacation in less than a month and it needs to be clean then. I don't want my cat sitter knowing how I live. :lol3:

Anyone else living in a hovel?

alyssam

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I try my best to keep the entire house clean. I live with 5 other adults and 2 small children so that in itself is a struggle.

My boyfriend and his brother both work full time.

Their mother is a retired RN and works occasional weekends and their father has terminal cancer so she spends most of her time taking care of him.

My boyfriend's brother's wife is intentionally unemployed because well, in all honesty she's lazy. She claims she wants to "raise her children" yet she isn't even the one that takes care of them 90% of the time. Occasionally she mows the law. Other than that she doesn't do anything unless she absolutely HAS to. (I could go on forever but I won't)

I currently am unemployed but I do all of the farm work (feed animals, clean, etc), as well as do dishes, sweep, mop, laundry, vacuum.... I'm your modern day Cinderella you could say.

On the days where I give myself a break from housework NOTHING gets done. Yesterday was one of those days. So naturally this morning I woke up to a sink full of dishes, a dirty tile floor, popcorn kernels all over the living room carpet (children...). The list goes on.

So, GUESS WHAT I'M DOING TODAY!  

Needless to say I can't wait until we have our own place. Or, at least til the brother+wife+children move out. 

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
No, really it is a mess! I'd be embarrassed for someone to come by.

Always at one point in the summer it gets like that. I have been spending all of my free time outside doing yard work or painting. When we actually get a rainy day I catch up on all of the errands I have to do. Yesterday I cleaned a small area of the kitchen. It's noticeable how much nicer it looks compared to everything else.
We go on vacation in less than a month and it needs to be clean then. I don't want my cat sitter knowing how I live.

Not so much.  Luckily for me, hubby is a neat freak!   
   He can't stand to have things lying around that should be put away somewhere.  He pretty much keeps me on the straight and narrow with picking up things that I would otherwise tend to leave lying about.  Sometimes I get exasperated and tell him "I LIVE here, I'm allowed to have my things out!"  LOL  But mostly I appreciate that he keeps on top of the clean up.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Right now I am organizing and cleaning out closets in preparation for my move in a few weeks (hopefully!). my apartment is a mess with boxes and things off the walls. I hate it!

pinkdagger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
lol, I felt this way last Thursday. My boyfriend is quite happy to live in a furry mess with dirty floors and clutter (and DISHES, ugh, the dirty dishes piled on his desk and in the sink!) but I was not raised that way. My mom cleaned every week, religiously, and got the entire house and every room spotless.

I sweep and mop every week because cleaning the bird cages makes such a mess with paper, seeds, and feathers but I tend to get lazy about the living room and especially vacuuming it - probably because I spend less time there. I'm obsessive about the kitchen though. NO dirty dishes, CLEAN counters, CLEAN fridge (when the boyfriend lived with another guy, I would routinely find moldy leftovers in the fridge.
Not on my watch!!).

When I told the boy I vacuumed the whole place and the carpet in the living room was all clean, he was shocked I was able to get all of Kismet's fur fluffs out of it. I had to vacuum once normally and once with the vacuum hose to get it all. We had company though, and whenever we have company I go on a cleaning rampage. I don't want people to know or think we live in squalor too.
My mom and one of my older brothers are VERY clean and neat, so letting them or any family members see anything short of immaculate is just shameful!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
It could be worse right now, I guess. It's not real great, but it's not a pigsty either. It needs a good vacuuming and (ideally) the bathroom could use wiped. And the floors could be washed. But I didn't have time over the weekend to get it all done. Rick is off work today, so he promised me he'd vacuum and Swiffer the living room. But that will, most likely, be about all that gets done.

I really don't like a mess and I really don't care for clutter. Rick, however, doesn't see messes, so it doesn't bother him. 

I may have mentioned.....the reason we've been vacuuming so much is because Muffin is shedding so badly. She has short fur; she's not a long-haired kitty, but it's very dense and fluffy. And there's blonde cat fur all over the house right now....even though I do brush her regularly. We have dark-red living room carpet and the blonde fur is very obvious. I do walk around and brush as I go, but vacuuming is still necessary.

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not a neat freak by any means but everything, especially clothes has to be put away or go into the hamper.  I don't ever have clothes laying around.  That said, you can see the white on the furniture which means dust.

I try to keep up with the vacuuming since right now Autumn is shedding like crazy, I believe this is the shedding season. 

I never leave dishes in the sink, I wash them by hand or use the dishwasher immediately.  I wouldn't want anyone coming to my house right now mostly because of the dust, other than that, my place is pretty clean.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I usually keep things cleaned up but every once in awhile I get lazy.  Finding a Hoarders rerun and watching it gets me in gear for a good cleaning.

oceanbreathes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh, mine is pretty bad right now.  I think you'd feel a lot better about your home if you were to visit our house.  I have some chronic problems and recently injured myself on top of all of that.  I've continued to maintain the litter boxes/all other cat related chores(we have multiples), the laundry, and the cooking but I really need to do the dishes, vaccuum, de-clutter, and so on today.  There are big projects that need to be done around here as well, which include repairs and packing for a move.  I feel overwhelmed just talking about it.  

I've been waiting for a "good day" to tackle everything and it doesn't appear to be coming.  I'd also like to have the house to myself for cleaning but that's just not going to happen either.  

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was tempted to take a picture last week.  It amazes me what 2 kids and a lack of attention can do to a house.  I have a framed picture over my couch that hangs on a wire at the top of the frame (visible; part of the style).  It was literally hanging all to one side.  Cushions were knocked off the couch.  Toys.  Everywhere.  Books.  Everywhere.  I removed all the kid's DVDs because DS kept shoving them inside the entertainment center and the drawers don't come off for me to get them easily.  So at least no DVDs out...  Oh; couch blankets, kids blankets and my couch pillows were everywhere too.  

The kitchen is a little better because it gets used!  But there is still clutter on the table and the island.  I was so focused on making the pickled banana peppers last week I just didn't declutter anything.  Friday I was looking all over for DD's bathing suit.  It was on the kitchen table.  Because that's where things go right? 
  Actually it was there from the week before when we had family here and she'd gone to the beach and only worn one of the 2 I sent with her.  

I've been busy today making sauce and things and I'm about to start laundry; so that will help.  But I've got high hopes of making pickles this week so I won't hold my breath!  The kids will be cleaning their toys up properly today.  Once those are back under control it's not so hard to get them to help clean up.

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

It could be worse right now, I guess. It's not real great, but it's not a pigsty either. It needs a good vacuuming and (ideally) the bathroom could use wiped. And the floors could be washed. But I didn't have time over the weekend to get it all done.
This sounds like me, I try to keep up with the cleaning but I don't always have enough time.  The biggest problem I have is cat hair which seems to be all over the place.  But like I said, I do try,  for example this morning I washed the kitchen floor on my hands and knees and swept and organized the garage.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No, really it is a mess! I'd be embarrassed for someone to come by.

Always at one point in the summer it gets like that. I have been spending all of my free time outside doing yard work or painting. When we actually get a rainy day I catch up on all of the errands I have to do. Yesterday I cleaned a small area of the kitchen. It's noticeable how much nicer it looks compared to everything else.
We go on vacation in less than a month and it needs to be clean then. I don't want my cat sitter knowing how I live.

Welcome to my world.

Since I was injured last summer, the house has not been kept up as well as I'd like.  My BF is great, and does as much as possible but, honestly, not enough.  I've learned not to complain; I'm totally grateful for everything he does do.  But, it seems I'm the only one who notices the piles of dust in hidden corners for instance.  I don't understand how this gets missed.  I'm guilty of saving paper; bills, old magazines, junk mail, etc.  Finally went through most of it the other week and chucked out a ton of it.  

When I was recuperating from surgery, my brother said he wanted to come by.  He didn't mention, that he was bringing his girlfriend and she'd never been to our house before.  I didn't care about my brother seeing the mess but geez, I was pretty mortified about his girl coming over.  And, I hadn't showered either. 

We have made a pact to stop letting dishes go to the next day.  Having the sink empty makes a world of difference.  

I used to hire cleaning people to come in 2-3 times a year to catch all those places we miss that are difficult to get to.  But, my money had better places to go this year.  I just got a raise and *may* splurge.  Still debating about it.

Last edited:

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Right now I am organizing and cleaning out closets in preparation for my move in a few weeks (hopefully!). my apartment is a mess with boxes and things off the walls. I hate it!
Have you heard yet? Can I uncross my fingers?

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The apartment is clean thanks to my weekly cleaner. But it's a mess especially the coffee table.
But the kitchen is clean. Clothes in the basket. Clean vliyhrd stuffed into the relevant cupboards which I keep saying I must tidy them. But I will I will.

heavenlylamb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
lol i thought my apartment was pretty clean, oh was i wrong.Not for bf mom. she came in and cleaned cleaned cleaned, AWKWARD and pretty embarrassing. Anyone else experienced that?

obaynne

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My place I usually pretty clean. It's a two bedroom apartment with myself and three kids - the kids hit it pretty hard everyday.
I'm happier when the house is clean though so I make a point of getting everything done - although I've only done dishes once today...
I try to vacuum twice a day because of my allergies (to cats of all things) and wash dishes at least twice (I hate dishes)
Otherwise I'm mostly just hovering above the kids to get them to pick up toys and put away books etc.
They have refused to clean their room though - I'm letting them suffer in the mess for a day because I'm done doing it for them. I'll gladly help (they are pretty young still) but I don't want to do it alone while they play.
We had an 'injury' from tripping over a toy, and another from stepping on Lego. They also complain that it's hairy in there and that the carpet is dirty - I said I would vacuum when the floor was clear enough to do it. Maybe that will be enough motivation lol

My boyfriend it somewhat of a neat freak, but instead I doing anything helpful (literally anything at all) when he comes over he just sits/lays on the couch usually playing on his phone (or sleeping), uses a new cup every time he has coffee, leaves dishes everywhere, throws garbage on the floor, and tisks about how it's disgusting that there's popcorn on the floor.... Ok maybe I have a few unresolved issues here..... Sorry lol

Generally I'm ok with people coming over because at the most I only need to ever put half an hour into making the house presentable, so that's not bad I suppose.
You should hae seen the last place I lived though... Holy cow- what a mess 24/7 I could not keep up with that!

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My house is actually fairly clean right now because I just moved 10 days ago so I've been getting everything organized. The closets still have some boxes in them that I haven't unpacked yet but otherwise it's pretty tidy...well aside from the play room. I'm getting too pregnant to bend over and pick everything up, it's getting harder every day. 
 2-2½ months left until I can properly bend over again.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I got the downstairs cleaned this week! :woo: I'm not embarrassed to have people come over! :clap: :lol3:

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh yes. I haven't been able to keep up with the housework because of a broken toe. One day, I will get it all caught up. Maybe.:lol3:

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sadly, yes.  I had visitors 2 weeks ago and it took me three weekends to get it to where I was comfortable having them come.  Seriously.  Well, maybe I went overboard, cleaned out the cupboards and under the cabinets, etc., but they needed it.  The most depressing part is that DH is home all day and won't lift a finger to  help.  I used to be so neat, clean, and organized ... but that was before I got so busy at work and got a couple cats