My hospital stay

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

Wow, I am surprised they would let you eat like that before AND after surgery. When I had my hysterectomy, I didn't eat anything for at least 12 hours after. The anesthesia can make you quite nauseous. And then it was only clear liquids and some toast.
Things have changed a great deal.

Four years ago when I went off work sick, people were not to eat or drink after midnight if their surgery was early in the morning. If it was later in the day then they could have a light breakfast and then nothing.

After their surgery they would be "NPO" (not able to eat or drink anything) until they had bowel sounds. Then they were put on a clear fluid diet (anything that is 100% clear at room temperature), then a full fluid diet (any liquids at all including milk), then diet as they tolerate it.

However, when I returned to work back in September for my back-to-work program, I found that right after surgery people can have whatever they want, no restrictions: it's basically whatever they can tolerate having. So when they come back they get a jug of water, and a snack if they want it, and then a full meal tray with the next meal.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

What!!!!!!! No way!!!!!! Unless you are in an animal hospital.

I really cannot believe they would allow this - you surely have misunderstood. If they do allow it, I need the name of the hospital since I'm near Hamilton because that's where I want to go for my next hospital stay so Bijou can come visit.
We allow pet visits in the hospital I work in too. Not in the ICU areas of course, but on the general wards. We even have "volunteer pet" visitors. There are some dogs that are brought around to various wards that have their own hospital ID tag with their picture and name on it. And some wards have bunnies or baby chicks brought in for the patients.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad to hear the surgery went well. Now, hopefully you will be out of there soon!

Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

We allow pet visits in the hospital I work in too. Not in the ICU areas of course, but on the general wards. We even have "volunteer pet" visitors. There are some dogs that are brought around to various wards that have their own hospital ID tag with their picture and name on it. And some wards have bunnies or baby chicks brought in for the patients.
I think it's a wonderful idea, but do they bring them around the rooms or just to the community room on each floor? I'm wondering about people that are allergic to pet dander. I know the nursing home my mom was in had pets visit, but the staff brought people down to the community room on the first floor if they wanted to see them.

I completely understand if the visit was in a separate lounge, and I'm SO glad you got to see SP!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

I think it's a wonderful idea, but do they bring them around the rooms or just to the community room on each floor? I'm wondering about people that are allergic to pet dander. I know the nursing home my mom was in had pets visit, but the staff brought people down to the community room on the first floor if they wanted to see them.

I completely understand if the visit was in a separate lounge, and I'm SO glad you got to see SP!
To each room if the patient in the room wants a visit. I've never seen anyone turn down a visit from one of our Volunteer Pets

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm amazed you could eat that after getting such surgery! I thought they preferred to stay with soft foods until you have a bowel movement (or heard good tummy sounds, and you'd farted :lol3). I know I always get really bad constipation from all the painkillers, and I know for my own comfort to stick with soft, easily digestible foods post surgery until my body gets back to normal. I guess, each to their own?

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Four years ago when I went off work sick, people were not to eat or drink after midnight if their surgery was early in the morning. If it was later in the day then they could have a light breakfast and then nothing.

After their surgery they would be "NPO" (not able to eat or drink anything) until they had bowel sounds. Then they were put on a clear fluid diet (anything that is 100% clear at room temperature), then a full fluid diet (any liquids at all including milk), then diet as they tolerate it.

However, when I returned to work back in September for my back-to-work program, I found that right after surgery people can have whatever they want, no restrictions: it's basically whatever they can tolerate having. So when they come back they get a jug of water, and a snack if they want it, and then a full meal tray with the next meal.
My hysterectomy was December 2007. And I had the first thing you described... NPO.. surg was @ 7:30 am. clear liquids - water afterward... then right before I was discharged I had some tea and toast and cream of wheat. I was in the hospital a little over 24 hrs - they did a lap surgery on me. Got a terrible infection a little later tho.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I certainly understand volunteer pet visitors as my SIL takes her dog Doozer to seniors homes and hospitals for visitation but he must be current on vaccinations and have graduated a training program for this.

I would think that anyone just bringing in their personal pet could be a potential risk to other patients, particularly since most people don't have a private room. As much as I love animals, I don't have a great deal of faith in other humans to ensure their animals are vaccinated and get regular health checks so if I were in hospital recovering from major surgery and open to infection, you can believe I would raise a stink if the person in the next bed brought in their pet whatever. That's just asking for a lawsuit somewhere down the road.

vampcow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

After their surgery they would be "NPO" (not able to eat or drink anything) until they had bowel sounds. Then they were put on a clear fluid diet (anything that is 100% clear at room temperature), then a full fluid diet (any liquids at all including milk), then diet as they tolerate it..
hmm I guess its different everywhere because I have had the same protocal for EVERY surgery i have had and my last one was in June and my upcoming one will be the same.

I really liked the clear fluid diet since they let me have as much jello as I wanted and I happen to love jello. The nurses find this very funny as my sister burst into the room asking if I FINALLY had my jello. I find that Jello and chocolate pudding are usually the only things I can keep down after surgery. SO even when I am on the full whatever i want to eat diet...I will often eat the jello or pudding and leave the rest. until mom comes to my rescue with good food.

But I am glad you got to see SP and are feeling a little better.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just wondering how you were doing Karen? Haven't heard from you in a few days.

Hope you're recovering, and either are home or get to go home soon

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I would think that anyone just bringing in their personal pet could be a potential risk to other patients, particularly since most people don't have a private room.
When people have asked me if it's ok to bring in the patient's dog for a visit, I tell them so long as it's a little dog that they can sneak in and keep on a leash and they go potty before entering the hospital, then my motto is "What dog?!"
I've let lots of people bring in small dogs to visit with their "mommy" or "daddy" and have turned a blind eye to it.

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

Just wondering how you were doing Karen? Haven't heard from you in a few days.

Hope you're recovering, and either are home or get to go home soon
Starting to wonder if you are o'kay.
update please