My Gizmo has PKD

minou_chere

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 10 yo persian was recently diagnosed with PKD. I took her into the Vet in June, after noticing her drinking a lot of water, the vet ran her bloodwork and noticed her kidney functions were down so we put her onto a renal diet. We ran the bloodwork again 4 weeks later and the numbers were improving, so the Vet thought it might have just been an infection, but after rerunning the numbers in September they were bad again. We confirmed PKD through an ultrasound. Basically, her kidneys are both riddled with the cysts, at least 6 large ones in each kidney along with several smaller ones. I took her back to the vet today b/c she's been urinating outside of her litter box, and he basically told us that when we decided it was time to put her down, he would support the decision 100%.

My problem is that apart from the urination and frequent drinking, she seems fine. She's fairly playful (although she does go through periods where she's not), she spends a lot of time getting brushed and petted and seems fairly happy. I feel a bit like I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop, that I'm going to wake up one day and she'll be sick and I'll have let it go too long. I've had her since she was a kitten and she's so dear to me, I don't want to make the decision to put her down too early, but I also can't imagine letting her suffer needlessly.

I'd love to hear any advice from anyone else who's gone through this, I'm just trying to work out how to keep my baby girl from having to suffer, but give myself as much time with her as I can!

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do not have a cat with PDK but do have a cat with CRF.
I would do everything you can now.
My Coco was given 5 months to live last Jan.
I also had a male cat that had stones in his kidneys that could not be removed and he was give 8 months to 2 years to live.
Sady I had to have him pts after 8 months.
I wonder if he had PKD also.
Good Luck to you.
There are some Persian Breeders here that might be able to help you.