My girls found a snake in my kitchen!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have no idea how it got into the house, but as I was fixing lunch yesterday, I hear a weird noise in the adjacent breakfast nook. I look around the corner to find Scarlett and Koko under the kitchen table batting at a small snake.

They were on either side of it, the snake was coiled, tongue out and trying to leap back at them as they batted at it. It was about the width of my pinky and about 14 inches long.

So brave old me (snakes give me the willies) picks up a pair of barbque tongs, pushes the girls away, picks up the snake, pushes the girls away again (and again and again), opens the door and deposits it outside. Actually it was far more traumatic as that - the door wouldn't unlock and I dropped the snake about 4 times trying to maneuver it out the door. It sat on the patio for a couple of hours and slithered away. I took pictures once outside but the camera broke last night and I can't retrieve them.

I didn't recognize the snake and hope it wasn't poisonous. I do live on a lake so guess I'll have to expect snakes from time to time around here. I shook for an hour afterwards and the kids looked for the snake for the next 2 hours.

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ewwie, I know how you feel, same sort of thing happened to us, well it was in the garden. Two of my babies - the girls - were looking very interested in something. So I went to invest¡gate, usually its a baby rabbit or mouse, which I always try to rescue. But this time it was a snake ! I live in Spain, so they are common but this was the first time I´d seen the cats with one. Not sure if they had caught it but they were very, very interested. After many attempts of schusshing the girls away, got the snake to scoot into a plant pot, covered it up and walked over to a nearby field and just left the pot there, so the snake could depart as and when. Girls locked up in the house until I thought all was clear !! It was about the same length and was dark brown, not sure if it was poisonous, but didnt want to chance the girls getting a bite or two !!
How strange that your snake was in the house, are they common where you live ?

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you sure the cats didn't bring it in? Mine brought one in once, as well as slow worms and earth worms.

lovemybabies

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
*shudder*

I remember when I was a kid, I was walking up to a beach and saw what appeared to be a rubber snake laying on the ground. I reached down to grab it, and it moved and slithered right over my foot - ughhh, I get the creeps just thinking about it!

southernlocs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yuck!!! I cant stand the site of snakes lol. I live near woods so we see the small ones once it gets warm. I was out cutting the lawn last week and saw one in the grass, i freaked out
!!! My kids thought i hurt myself with the lawn mower lol. I truly hope i never see one inside the house, we also have these lil lizards that try to get in. YUCK YUCK YUCK lol

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ewww! That would be freaky! We get harmless garter snakes outside here...if I see one I just leave it alone until it slithers away! LOL!

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh gosh my cats find snakes ALL the time and it cracks me up! I always know when there's a snake upstairs because they are all four sitting close together like Indians in a circle watching the floor intently. Usually the girls bring them upstairs but once Twig brought one up and he was strutting for days, he was so proud!
I found my first baby snake last week Rocket and Isis were playing with it and it was trying to escape under a box. So I picked it up and took it outside. Small snakes don't bother me. But they bother Brad, especially if they are in the bed with him (that's where the boys put the one they caught and I've never seen Brad move so fast from a dead sleep!
)

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jennyranson

Are you sure the cats didn't bring it in? Mine brought one in once, as well as slow worms and earth worms.
Same here! My gang are snake charmers
Let me rephrase that- my critter charmers, because they bring in frogs, lizards, worms, birds and mice.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our Sassy used to bring us snakes all the time. One time we came home from vacation and there was a snake in the kitchen! Ugh! Yesterday Elsa was making a really weird meowing sound, and I went outside and she had hunted a bird.
She wouldn't come in until I fussed over it and said how proud I was.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jennyranson

Only 1 cat goes in and out and his preference is mice. Dogs were outside at the time so unless they brought it in earlier and it hid for a while, it probably got thru a vent, crack, or something.

We just moved here last month so not sure how common snakes are. Today while gardening off the patio where I released the snake, I saw another one - same size but clearly different markings. So maybe snakes are very common here and I can only hope that they are not poisonous. I do know that we have rattlers, copperheads and water mocs in the area but don't think the ones I saw were any of those.

And every time I walk near that room I look into it for snakes. I hope I get over those willies pretty quick - I really don't like snakes, although know they are good for keeping down bugs and mice and such.

So here's a weird theory: when we first bought our house outside of Houston, hubby found a water moc in the hallway one morning. He didn't tell me until we moved out. Likewise, when we first moved to our last home in Missouri, hubby found a snake under the clawfoot bathtub one morning - didn't tell me about that one for years. So we just moved in here last month and found a snake. Is it something about turning a home from one occupant to another that makes snakes stir? Perhaps a change in routine? Odd coincidence.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

... Is it something about turning a home from one occupant to another that makes snakes stir? Perhaps a change in routine? Odd coincidence.
Or maybe it's just you! Muahahahahahaha!

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh I hate snakes big time, once I had one in the pantry and one of the cats I had then nabbed it with his claws and slung it right at my feet
I amost tore up the house trying to get out of there

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by halfpint

Oh I hate snakes big time, once I had one in the pantry and one of the cats I had then nabbed it with his claws and slung it right at my feet
I amost tore up the house trying to get out of there
So I have to ask: we both live "somewhere over the rainbow" - are we in snake land? LOL

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

So I have to ask: we both live "somewhere over the rainbow" - are we in snake land? LOL
I think your on one side and I on the other, but snakes are on both sides
I'm actually "Somewhere over the Rainbow" lost in smog
I doubt there's much where you are