My gentle giant of a cat now attacks dogs.

victor

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all,

My cat Thor a Himalayan 16 lbs has always been docile and non confrontational around my other 3 cats and any cats or dogs we encounter on our daily walks about the neighborhood. Recently , today actually, Thor on two occasions chased a dog with no provocation one dog was across the street another was just minding its own business both were not barking or displaying any type of aggression. Thor just started running after them and the claws and paws were flying. I grabbed him by the scruff and calmed him down; apologized to the owners made sure the dogs were not harmed and got him back in the house . I am afraid to let him out as I had been able to do before. Thor has been neutered had his shots and has never shown any aggressive behavior towards me or my other cats its so out of the ordinary. Plan on going to get him to the vets and ask if there is anything i can do to stop his aggression so I can let him out again. Any suggestions or advice would greatly be appreciated.

cheers

Vic

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with taking him to the vet.  With any change in behavior it's a good idea to rule out physical issues.  I wonder if something could have happened while you were away; say with a strange dog on your property, or something like that.  

Does he walk on a harness ever?  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

victor

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks Moochnnoodles,

I was thinking the same maybe he had a run in with a dog but all the dogs in the neighborhood are on leashes. Maybe a stray wandering about. None of my cats wear collars or harnesses i tried to get them to wear them no joy.

victor

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Walked the ctas today Thor did not attack any dogs hope he is ok now.

Last edited:

victor

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you ! Hopefully Thor is over what ever it was ...took the cats walking today and he behaved himself walked past 4 dogs without incident although a cat challenged my little female cat but her big brother came up and chased the cat away.