My Gastric Bypass story...

airprincess

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Kim,

having felt the despair that you describe and I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

Deb said it perfectly, you have always carried yourself here with class and dignity. I wish you nothing but the best in your life.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kimward34

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by Deb25
And Kim, come join the Weight Control thread. We are all about celebrating each others' successes in there.
Deb I want to thank you for your friendship and understanding, girl friend! I would love to participate in the weight loss thread now that everyone knows my story. I just wanted to be careful mixing the subject of weight loss surgery while discussing conventional dieting because it is so drastically different.

Ya know, Deb....I still laugh when I think about the night before my surgery... you and Maryanne helping me calm my nerves via MSN Messenger........the night, we ended up Photoshopping our rendition of "Where's Waldo" with a picture of you hiding behind a giant Pepsi can, LMAO!!

Can you tell I am going through the "Surgery Eve" jitters again? LOL!!!

whisker's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my... Kim!!! You look wonderful!!!! (((((hugs))))

People who think having this procedure is the easy way out needs to get their head examined. Liposuction is an easy way out, plastic surgery etc... is an easy way out (which BTW, if I had enough $$$$ I'd be all for it!
) Having sleep apnea due to your condition is probably one of the scariest things to go through. We have a fella at the office who went through this procedure over a year and a half ago. He's lost over 100lbs. Right before this, he needed a special machine that he had to hook up every night because he had sleep apnea. Which meant.... he never knew when he closed his eyes at night if he'd be opening them in the morning.

Today, he is happy, healthy and no longer relies on this machine to alert him if he stops breathing(I can't remember what it is.

First of all, I commend you for having taken the step back and realised you needed help. As much as you obviously tried for a long time, you needed a helping hand. There is no shame in that. There should be pride because alot of others would just say: I just don't care anymore. And then give up.

I am glad you did your research and thought about this prior to the procedure. I believe it is now a lifelong change. Thinking healthy daily will help you acheive all your goals.

You look wonderful. Before AND after. But you most definately shine more in your 'after' picture.

Bravo to you!

kimward34

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by airprincess
Kim,

having felt the despair that you describe and I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

Deb said it perfectly, you have always carried yourself here with class and dignity. I wish you nothing but the best in your life.
{{{{{{{{Colby}}}}}}}}}}}}
Thank you

deb25

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kim, if anything gets you Photoshopping, then it's worth it.

Now, if you could please get NASA back on track so we can meet for a shuttle launch?

kimward34

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by Deb25
.......if you could please get NASA back on track so we can meet for a shuttle launch?
I am counting the days! You can bet your bippy you'll be getting a call from me when they start launching again!!

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kim, I think you look absolutely fantastic already!

This is probably a stupid question, but I'm confused about the procedure you had done. In the past several people I knew had their stomachs stapled. Is that procedure the same thing as a gastric bypass or is it something completely different?

kimward34

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by Lorie D.
Kim, I think you look absolutely fantastic already!

This is probably a stupid question, but I'm confused about the procedure you had done. In the past several people I knew had their stomachs stapled. Is that procedure the same thing as a gastric bypass or is it something completely different?
{{{{{{{Lorie}}}}}}} The procedure I had is called the Roux-en-Y gastric bypass and it is similar in concept, but not performed the same as stomach stapling from the 80's . (Hope that made sense, LOL!) I do have staples though

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you have staples, won't you have trouble going thru a metal detector at the airport?

kimward34

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by Kiwideus
If you have staples, won't you have trouble going thru a metal detector at the airport?
ROTFL!! That's a darn good question. The staples are made of titanium and I don't know if that makes a difference or not. I'll have to ask that question at my next meeting.

mom of 10 cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Titanium is non-reactive to metal detectors. One of my patients just asked her MD about this, she had a titanium rod put in her leg last year and is flying to visit her daughter in Israel next month. The doctor said the titanium won't trigger metal detectors.

shell

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kim, I am so very proud of you! I know I had been teasing you on the Weight loss thread to post those pictures, so I feel a little guilty for pushing you. It really wasn't my intention. I thought it would be a great motivator for others since they can see first hand how this surgery has worked for you.

You look awesome & I can see the joy and happiness in your eyes. Where in the before picture, you looked so dreary & sad. Thank you so much for sharing those pictures with us!
I wish you the very best in this life long journey! By the looks of how wonderful you've done in such a short time, I know that you'll hit that goal. I've got major faith in ya!

Thanks again for sharing & many hugs!
(((((((HUGS)))))))

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well she sure is an inspiration to me! If I had any doubts a week ago (when I went to the orientation) I sure don't now!

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I applaud you, it took courage to post this, and I think you look great (but then I don't think the before picture was that horrendous either...probably because I've been that weight as well).

I can really relate to some of the health problems - acid reflux, sleep apnea, these are two reasons I'm working so hard to lose all the weight I need to lose.

I have a very good friend who decided to have this procedure, and I've learned a lot from her, your sharing your story will help educate others here who may not know much about gastric by-pass.

wish you all the best as you reach your maintenance weight