My Gabby

tmack693

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there! Just joined this forum to ask about my baby girl Gabby. I'm in school to become a registered veterinary technician (RVT) and after seeing my desktop background (which is of Gabby) one of my teachers complimented my beautiful Burmese. I adopted Gabby from a local shelter when she was about 7 months old. They told me she was found as a stray and therefore I know absolutely nothing about her previous life. I'll post up a pic of her, and I know you won't be able to say 100% yes without her having papers but I'm just wondering if she looks like a Burmese to anyone else? My vet thinks she might just be a Persian cross because of her stubby little nose. Just curious really!

Thanks for reading and I look forward to any responses I might get!

Last edited by a moderator:

ellag

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
she's gorgeous! she looks like she may have some norwegian forest cat or siberian in her but her coat is stunning!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tmack693

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you! I would agree with the forest cat idea but she's absolutely tiny! She's well over a year now and she's maxed out at about 6 pounds. My understanding is forest cats are typically much larger?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thank you! I would agree with the forest cat idea but she's absolutely tiny! She's well over a year now and she's maxed out at about 6 pounds. My understanding is forest cats are typically much larger?
Yes, Norwegian are biggish, practically in the Maine Coon class.  I myself would sooner guess on a Siberian, but that doesnt help us much - Siberians are no pygmees them either, even is they in average are a shade less biggish.

Re this black face and dark brown body (are ears and tail black too?) - I had once got some indirect abash on a longhair with similiar  colors, when I guessed on burmese ancestry - and burmanese type point, but other experts had good reasoning it was not at all necessary, and their explanation was better.  I think @posiepurrs was one of them.

If we think here is a recent burmanese ancestry, its not necessary to count with persian ancestry - that nose here isnt far from a burmanese nose.

These long hairs, although impressive, could be had from several different sources, and the parents werent necessarily longhaired themselves either. It could be enough they were carriers of the longhair gene.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tmack693

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes her ears and tail are black too. I must admit I'm not as familiar with cat breeds as I would like to be! Whatever breed she is, she has stolen my heart (both with her beauty and her personality)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes her ears and tail are black too. I must admit I'm not as familiar with cat breeds as I would like to be! Whatever breed she is, she has stolen my heart (both with her beauty and her personality)
Now I remember.  Its (black) smoke  which can give exactly such looks on a longhaired cat.   So your cat may still be some sort of burmanese mix, but its at least as probable she is a smoke.

I still hope Posiepurrs will find this tread.  She is knowleable on such, especielly colors on longhair cats.

Re this black face and dark brown body (are ears and tail black too?) - I had once got some indirect abash on a longhair with similiar  colors, when I guessed on burmese ancestry - and burmanese type point, but other experts had good reasoning it was not at all necessary, and their explanation was better.  I think @posiepurrs was one of them.