My friend's adorable Tortie

2Cats4everLoved

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's adorable.  I have a tortie too, and just found out that they are almost always female.  I knew nothing about that, lol.  Molly is so cute.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

raina21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
2Cats4everLoved 2Cats4everLoved

I know, she is so cute! My friend's mom used to call her Ugee because she thought she was ugly :( I've always thought she was beautiful though.

And yeah Torties are almost always female, like calicos. I believe it has something to do with the fact that the gene that determines fur color is located on the X chromosome (females have 2 x chromosomes, so they are XX, while males are typically XY). In order for a Tortie or a calico to exist they must have 2 different genes for coloration (a different one for each X chromosome). Since males typically only have one X chromosome, Tortie or calico coat patterns are typically impossible for males. However, there is a rare genetic mutation that occurs where males can sometimes be born with 3 sex chromosomes, making them XXY instead of just regular ol' XY. This is the only situation where it is possible for a male cat to be a Tortie or a Calico.

Last edited:

haleyds

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Fun fact also, if you do happen to find that ultra rare calico/tortie male, he will 99% always be sterile. Genetics are crazy.