My Foster Won't Stop Scratching!

mrsmeowgi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, I should say she won't stop scratching the furniture and carpet. I have a home lined up for her already and I feel obligated to tell them what to expect so I'd rather correct the problem now.

She has a cardboard scratcher that she also uses, and I trimmed her nails. Her new family won't want to put tin foil or plastic all over everything so I'm not sure what to do! I really doubt they'll buy the Soft Paws either.

Should I spray her with a water bottle and relocate her to the scratcher? I don't know what to do and I don't want them to either 1) declaw her or 2) pass on getting her altogether.

sine nomine

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
softpaws are vinyl nail caps for cats. you trim the claw, put a dab of adhesive into the nail cap, then slide it over the claw. blunt claws == no scratching. when the claw sheath naturally sheds, the softpaw thingie comes with it.

the boy and i decided to give softpaws a try because we just moved into a new place, and our sable fluffy cat has a thing for tearing up carpet. the maine coon doesn't scratch much, but we had to put softpaws on him, too, because it's unfair to only do one.

we went to a groomer for the first set. she taught us how to apply them. then i bought more online, and as softpaws fall off, i put new ones on. our sable kitty gets purple ones and the maine coon gets black -- they wear different sizes so it's easier to have them in different colors. besides, purple would clash with an orange tabby.

i'm thrilled with them (no, i don't work for the company, btw). the cats can't damage anything, they get to keep their claws, and you can't tell the softpaws are there unless they extend their claws. i was skeptical, but they don't affect claw function at all aside from blunting the tips.

deb