My first cat! Turkish Angora? Domestic short hair?

carnewbie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She was described as simply a white cat. When I met her, they told me she was a very expensive cat from Germany. She's a lovely addition to our home. I can't help but be curious! :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carnewbie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I added pictures but they aren't showing up.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She was described as simply a white cat. When I met her, they told me she was a very expensive cat from Germany. She's a lovely addition to our home. I can't help but be curious!
So what is the story?  Did they describe her as simply a white cat,  OR a very expensive cat from Germany?

And if expensive, I suppose somebody payed this because...  The usual someboyd pays lotsa of money for a cat is this cats is purebred with certificates and everything.

So??

And why from Germany?  I suppose YOU are not in Germany.  How come is a cat from Germany come to you?

Its often difficult to  deem a cat by looks alone.  I myself Im often unsure with totally white and totally black cats...

If we discuss Turkish Angora.  She is a beauty, and may be an Turkish angora, although a show quality TA has a looks of sleek and gracious.   So my guess is, she is no show quality TA.

If the background doesnt tell otherwise, I would say, a very nice domestic.

For a comparison a recent tread with an moggie, but one where I think that moggie may have a mix of Turkish Angora (the sleek posse and body holding) and turkish van (the pattern) as near ancestors.

http://www.thecatsite.com/t/311426/my-long-hair-foster-cat#post_3896747

Last edited:

carnewbie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry I wasn't clear.

The advertisement described her as a white cat. When I got there they told me she was bought for thousands of dollars while a family member was living in Germany. They wouldn't give out her papers. I didn't even know cats had papers. That family member will be working in a different country for 4 years and left pets with them. They just wanted her to go to a good home and not be sold for profit.

She looks big but under that fur she's petite. She weighs 8 lbs.

carnewbie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I took her to the vet for a checkup. People who work there told me she's a turkish angora and the receptionist had pictures taken holding her. Lol. That doesn't mean she is for certain of course. Just a fun story. :)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
OK, I see.  So they were honest to you and sold her to you as a nice white moggie, because they were sure you would give her a good home.

But, indicies are very heavy she is a real turkish angora, although prob of pet quality.  Not stunning long necked show quality in any case. 

A nice Christmas story!   :)

carnewbie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you StefanZ!

carnewbie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I made an appt for next week. Spay, shots, microchip. The lady wasn't sure how to describe her so she just put down "Domestic Medium Hair". Is that a good enough description? Does it matter? What do you think? :)

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I made an appt for next week. Spay, shots, microchip. The lady wasn't sure how to describe her so she just put down "Domestic Medium Hair". Is that a good enough description? Does it matter? What do you think?
Since you have no papers the description the vet has as a domestic is correct to use.  It's the accurate one to use but makes her no less stunning.  She really is beautiful.  I adore all white cats, it's my BF's dream cat lol.  

Looking forward to more pix!

kittymomma1122

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Can you question the people you recieved the cat from? Not that you want the papers, but because your vet will need to treat/screen your cat for cardiomyopathy that can run in pure breed TA. My friend owns pure breed, papered, Maine Coon Cats. They were tested by breeder and he also has an echocardiogram done yearly to make sure they do not develop cardiomyopathy as it runs in that breed.
Also the fact she is not spayed would mean to me she is not a purebred or they never recieved her papers because they did not furfill the contract to have her spayed.

Last edited: