My First Cat Show!

sims2fan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had such a great time! I went to the National Cat Club show and to finally see all these breeds in person was spectacular. I'd never seen a Bengal, Occicat, or a British shorthair before so it was well worth it just for that! Not to mention all the stalls and the great prices on cat products. I was really lucky in that my parents flay was three bus stops away from the National Hall where it took place. So I bought a lot of bulky items (including a cat tree) that I would have never been able to take back otherwise. Then at the end of the day I took a cab back with all the stuff.

What do you guys think of Cat Shows?

I took some pictures, would I be allowed to post pictures of cats that are not mine?

beach bum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sims2fan

I had such a great time! I went to the National Cat Club show and to finally see all these breeds in person was spectacular. I'd never seen a Bengal, Occicat, or a British shorthair before so it was well worth it just for that! Not to mention all the stalls and the great prices on cat products. I was really lucky in that my parents flay was three bus stops away from the National Hall where it took place. So I bought a lot of bulky items (including a cat tree) that I would have never been able to take back otherwise. Then at the end of the day I took a cab back with all the stuff.

What do you guys think of Cat Shows?

I took some pictures, would I be allowed to post pictures of cats that are not mine?
So glad you enjoyed the great show. We all miss an important part of Catdom if we do not make at least one big show. Samwise and Molly are happy to be retired from the show routine, but Jim and I continue to attend shows, at least those relatively nearby. Many a time Jim and I wished we had a London cab for cat shows -- they would have been so handy for carrying the cat carriers on the nearside next to the driver.

Go -- post the photos! We would love to see a show on the other side of the pond. Something new for us in the 'States. Thank you for sharing your excitement with us.

Cheerio, and best of holiday wishes,

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The few shows I have been too , were a lot of fun..

vespacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love cat shows, for many of the same reasons mentioned earlier.
You can get great deals on cat products and there are so many cat breeds you wouldn't normally see. I love the Siamese -- you can always tell where they are in the show hall by their distinctive meow.

When I was showing Mik locally he won 3rd Best Kitten at his first show! He also received Best Specialty (shorthair) at that show, and received his Championship and Premiership in a few following shows until he told me in no uncertain terms that he wanted to live the life of luxury as a housecat, rather than enduring long days on the show circuit.

I love to enter draws for stuff while I'm there, and tickets are cheap. Actually, I won Mik a cat tree the same day he won 3rd Best of the Best Kitten! It was the big prize of the day. I still have it, and it's in great condition!

beach bum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by vespacat

Actually, I won Mik a cat tree the same day he won 3rd Best of the Best Kitten! It was the big prize of the day. I still have it, and it's in great condition!
Well done, Mik!!

Your cat tree in "great condition" couldn't help but remind me of the tree we got Samwise and Molly for clawing purposes. It is also in great condition.

Unused.

On the other hand we are pleased that they love their "Cosmic Catnip Alpine Scratcher," and they regularly destroy the laminated cardboard.

vespacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Beach Bum

Well done, Mik!!

Your cat tree in "great condition" couldn't help but remind me of the tree we got Samwise and Molly for clawing purposes. It is also in great condition.

Unused.

On the other hand we are pleased that they love their "Cosmic Catnip Alpine Scratcher," and they regularly destroy the laminated cardboard.
Yes, they tend to destroy the things they love, don't they?
Actually, the tree is made by a local (Canadian) company whose craftmanship is just amazing. Nothing cheaply made about their trees, and Mik and Lex use it all the time. In fact, their donut bed is on the top perch and I have a pad for them in the bottom half circle. Of course, they do prefer scratching the floor carpets to the tree carpet.

eva-loves-cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've never been to a cat show, but would love to go some time.

I can't see why you couldn't post the photos, I myself would love to see them

Glad you had a good time and bought lots of goodies

Eva x

purr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've thought it would be fun to go to a show, as long as I didn't enter a cat into it. I think it would hurt my feelings if the cat I entered didn't win anything.

Can people go back where the cats are just to look around? Do people usually mind if you touch 'em?

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sounds like lots of fun!...I haven't been to a cat show since I was about 10 years old..but I loved it

beach bum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Purr

I've thought it would be fun to go to a show, as long as I didn't enter a cat into it. I think it would hurt my feelings if the cat I entered didn't win anything.

Can people go back where the cats are just to look around? Do people usually mind if you touch 'em?
The cats aren't "back" somewhere, Purr. They are all in roomy cages out in the open, lined up in rows of cages, and you can look at them and photograph them to your heart's content. The typical CFA show, like the ones Samwise and Molly participated in, last two full days. The cats' keepers carry them up to the judge's ring for judging generally only 6 times each day, and the rest of the time they are on display in their cages, bored stiff, with their keepers sitting with them trying to keep them at ease, happy and handsome. Most keepers are bored as well, and love to talk about their babies and educate you about breeds you may have never seen before.

Some exhibitors will permit a spectator to touch or pet them, but that is not usually the case. Our experience has been that a small child is more likely to be permitted to touch a cat, and not often even them. You must recognize that upwards of 300 cats will be in attendance on occasion, and sometimes more, and keepers are not anxious to have any little bugs passed around amongst their babies, and who knows when a spectator may have last washed his or her hands.

Walk, don't run -- to the nearest cat show. You will have a ball seeing these lovely furbabies. They all earned their way into the show by being the very best there are, and they are all winners -- without exception

vespacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

The cats aren't "back" somewhere, Purr. They are all in roomy cages out in the open, lined up in rows of cages, and you can look at them and photograph them to your heart's content. The typical CFA show, like the ones Samwise and Molly participated in, last two full days. The cats' keepers carry them up to the judge's ring for judging generally only 6 times each day, and the rest of the time they are on display in their cages, bored stiff, with their keepers sitting with them trying to keep them at ease, happy and handsome. Most keepers are bored as well, and love to talk about their babies and educate you about breeds you may have never seen before.

Some exhibitors will permit a spectator to touch or pet their cats, but that is not usually the case. Our experience has been that a small child is more likely to be permitted to touch a cat, and not often even them. You must recognize that upwards of 300 cats will be in attendance on occasion, and sometimes more, and keepers are not anxious to have any little bugs passed around amongst their babies, and who knows when a spectator may have last washed his or her hands.

Walk, don't run -- to the nearest cat show. You will have a ball seeing these lovely furbabies. They all earned their way into the show by being the very best there are, and they are all winners -- without exception
Exactly. When I was showing Mik I always had to keep an eye out for small children, as well as adults, sticking their hands in the cages. Some exhibitors will let you touch their cat(s), but generally only if you clean your hands first because, as mentioned, sometimes diseases do get passed on in the show hall from an infected cat. Personally, I didn't allow anyone to touch Mik or the cats I handled for other people. Some people don't seem to understand it's not a petting zoo, but a competition.

purr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Some exhibitors will permit a spectator to touch or pet them, but that is not usually the case. Our experience has been that a small child is more likely to be permitted to touch a cat, and not often even them. You must recognize that upwards of 300 cats will be in attendance on occasion, and sometimes more, and keepers are not anxious to have any little bugs passed around amongst their babies, and who knows when a spectator may have last washed his or her hands.

Oh, I see. I've never seen a cat show, so I just imagined it as a dog show where they bring them out a few at a time.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cool! I love cat shows and I've been showing my cats since I was two years old.

Amanda, who cares if your kitty doesn't win. It's just lots of fun to be there!

luvmysphynx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The breeder and I are showing Ben and Sufi currently. I am new to it all, only been to three shows, but it is a lot of fun.

Everyone is right, they have great cat products for sale at the shows!