My first cat, her first litter, I need help!!

kenzie9a

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cats water broke roughly 6 hours ago and still no kittens. She doesnt seem like she is in pain. No contractions just laying,on the bed. What do I do?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Water can break before she has kittens, who are still protected inside their own individual sacs. Has she lost her mucus plug yet?

Be patient. She will go into labor when her body is ready.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

kenzie9a

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just dont want something to be wrong. And no she hasn't lost the plug yet. That I've been able to see

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have nests set up for mom?

Can you keep her 100% inside and away from intact males from now until the kittens have weaned?

kenzie9a

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Still no kittens. She has made herself very comfortable on an old bed of ours. But hasn't even started contractions

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Still no kittens. She has made herself very comfortable on an old bed of ours. But hasn't even started contractions
You may want to set up some other nest options in dark areas. Moms like closets, etc.

Did you see the above about keeping her in? And away from males?

kenzie9a

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ues I can keep her inside. But she prefers not to be. She absolutely hates using the litter box. She would rather do her business outside then come back in

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ues I can keep her inside. But she prefers not to be. She absolutely hates using the litter box. She would rather do her business outside then come back in
She really needs to stay in. Moms in labor are known to panic and run off, and she can get pregnant again within a week of delivery. She can go out once she's spayed and the kittens don't depend on her anymore.

kenzie9a

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok. I didnt know that. So what do I do. She won't use a litter box and she won't go inside. I'm not sure

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok. I didnt know that. So what do I do. She won't use a litter box and she won't go inside. I'm not sure
Find a litter box that she will use. Some cats respond to an open box with some dirt on top. She will go inside when she realizes she's being kept in. She may also need multiple boxes if shes picky about cleanliness.

kenzie9a

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No I am not exactly sure. But it was a lot for just pee

kenzie9a

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat just had 5 kittens a little over 3 hours ago. But the problem is when I got to feeling her belly it still feels like she has one in there and there is no after birth. I need help. She is a cat I found on the road a little less than a month ago and I dont have the money to pay for the vey

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She may have finished birthing or there may be another to come. This is very common. She could even give birth tomorrow.

I would concentrate on the 5 kittens, which is a lot. Make sure they are all nursing well.

Please have poor momma spayed when the kittens are 8 weeks old so she doesn't have to go through this again.

spooks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
An expert will come help you soon I'm sure, but from what I've read on other similar posts many people think there are more kittens in their cats belly, even if there are not. Her stomach won't shrink back immediately, I believe it takes about a day and if she does still have a kitten to deliver its normal for cats to give birth hours, or even days apart. Each kitten should have its own placenta; when you say there is no after birth do you mean at all or just for the most recent kitten? If you haven't seen it at all she may have just eaten the placentas without you noticing.

Alejandra Rico

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
A curious ability of cats is that they can stop delivering if they decide that conditions are not safe enough. So it might have happened, maybe she is just waiting for you to give her some time and space.
Anyway, some of our great experts will soon come here and help you in this issue. Meanwhile, stay calmed and strong, and let her have her space, food, water and litter tray close to her.

kenzie9a

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She finally had it. Good and healthy 6 hours later:D thank you everyone for the answers and I will be getting her spayed once they turn 8 weeks

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She finally had it. Good and healthy 6 hours later:D thank you everyone for the answers and I will be getting her spayed once they turn 8 weeks
Momma has her hands full with 6 kittens. Be sure you rotate them, if necessary, so that everyone gets fed.

Post some photos if you can.