My Feral's High Anxiety

Lrabbitt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Greetings! Little Mouser has made great progress over the past month from being feral to becoming an "indoor cat". She eats, she drinks, she grooms, she purrs and trills. I still cannot touch her, but if my hand gets in her way, now she swipes me with a "soft paw" (claws in) and hisses only softly.

What I was not expecting is her high anxiety when I leave the apartment. When I leave home for more than 4 hours, she is frantic when I get back. She is exhibiting stress and sometimes throws up. When I get home, she "herds" me, hugging my ankles and meowing frantically.

Knowing I had a "command performance" after-work engagement tonight, I popped by home at 3 pm to feed Mouser and scoop the litter.

I got home just after 8:30 pm and Little Mouser is beside herself. Do I need to decline all extracurricular activities and cat-sit until she is comfortable being alone in the apartment? If so, for how long should I do this? My work hours are 8 am to 5 pm.

She will not accept any petting or comfort from me - she just accepts her bed being clean, regular food and a scooped litter box. Yet she is clearly in distress. Recommendations are welcome!

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might consider getting her a companion cat, especially if you live alone. Cats can get bored and lonely, and feral cats usually live in a community with each other and are used to being around other cats. I know that taking in another cat is more stressful in the short run, but in the long run would likely make her happier.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried petting her with something on a long handle? Another poster had great success by dunking her hands in catnip and then petting her feral. It's great that she's retracting her claws when she smacks you. I wish mine would do that.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I too recommend a second cat. But if not possible, try leaving a radio on playing softly. (not rock and roll, a talk or classical channel) Females are usually more standoffish than males anyway as they get older, past kittenhood, so it is not unusual for her to not want to be touched. Leave a worn shirt for her to have your scent, and maybe leave several times for an hour, praising her and giving her a treat when you come home, so she knows you are coming home. The shorter times might get her a little more used to it without stressing her out so bad. When you are gone, leave hard food out for her so hunger doesn't become an issue either.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lrabbitt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thank you all! I will definitely look into these ideas!