My feral kitten left me a surprise this morning...

karenmoon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Last night we let our new feral kitten (about 5 months old) who's been living in our home about 10 days have a little more space. She stays in a small bathroom, and last night we opened her door to the adjoining room to let her explore. This morning I found the less-than-delightful surprise of a few little poops on the floor. She uses the box in her room with no trouble, so now I'm wondering if she's sending me a message, marking territory (we have 2 other cats), and if I gave her this new freedom too soon? Not sure how I should deal with this. Any ideas? Thanks!!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, I don't think she's trying to send a message, and I believe cats usually use urine to mark their territory. I would use an enzymatic cleaner on the area, and place another litterbox in that second room.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

karenmoon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, thanks for the reply. My two cats have not yet met Bailey (feral kitten). I'm keeping them physically separated, though they have been able to smell things of each other's and I've left items of my and my husband's clothing in her space. I thought Bailey exploring the new room was a good opportunity for her to get some new smells of the cats and us. We started last night by opening her door and inviting her to join us in the room (minus the two cats). She peeked in at us but elected to stay in her room. Then we later decided to let her explore once we headed to bed. Too soon? I've also ordered a gate to put between the doors so she can observe all of us in the room (to eventually include the 2 cats). And I've considered bringing her crate that she hides in in her room into a communal space where she can observe us, but I thought that might be too stressful for her at this point. I'm trying to work slowly here and help her adjust, but her bathroom where she stays is pretty small and she meows at night and looks like she's craving more space.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
And I've considered bringing her crate that she hides in in her room into a communal space where she can observe us, but I thought that might be too stressful for her
I think you're right, this might be more than she's up to handling.

Last edited:

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi K karenmoon - and, a slightly belated warm welcome to the forum !

...This morning I found...a few little poops on the floor.....Any ideas?
Considering this happened over just a few hours..........and, considering one 'poop'/bowel movement a day is 'normal'.....those "few little poops" are likely just one bowel movement.

IF the "little poops" were individual pieces/chunks/bits of poop.......that's an sign of dry stool, an indication of some degree of constipation. Bowel movements while constipated are uncomfortable/painful. Cats frequently associate that pain with the litterbox.....and, so, they will avoid 'going' in the box and they will poop elsewhere.

IF the "little poops" were liquidy/puddles/diarrheal......that could also suggest constipation, with liquidy poop leaking out around harder poop that's obstructing the passageway. OR, it could be just plain diarrhea.

You'll already be able to cross out one of those "IFs".......when you post back, we can offer some help with a remedy.

Meantime, a second litterbox may help - is there a little larger space she could have as her safe space?

Meantime, you've made five posts on here so far.............without a single picture!!! :lol:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

karenmoon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The little poops looked normal to me, just like what I see in her box -- not constipated marbles, not liquidy. I'm attaching my first photo -- I had to take this in her hiding spot because she doesn't come out and pose! Poor baby looks stricken by the flash.

Attachments

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK, "constipated marbles" is likely on the extreme end of the constipation spectrum (with watery/diarrheal on the other)......

Here is a description of what's in the middle of that spectrum, "normal stool":
"As a carnivore, a cat naturally produces a firmish, cylindrical, segmented stool that may be tapered on one or both ends. The segments may separate on their drop into the litter box or from burial attempts. The drier the stool, the more likely the segments will separate or be separated and the smaller each segment may be." (ref) [my emphasis]

It's entirely possible that what looks "normal" to you (because it's what you usually see).....is still drier than (objectively) normal stool. What had caught my eye was "few little poops" description.....

Anyways, carry on.....perhaps a second box will prevent further 'surprises'.

So far as I know, cats do not 'mark territory' with stool.