My Feral Cat and Fleas

jramseyrob

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi.  New to the forum.  Late last summer I took in a feral kitten whose family lived in my backyard had been abandoned by his parents and siblings at about 2 month of age.  He lived inside for the majority of the winter but when spring came around wanted to go out.  So I let him out in the morning about 6AM and he stays out til hes hungry then comes in to eat, then goes back out.  Basically the house is a hotel for him.  So now that summer is full on he has fleas which is normal.  I just went out and purchased Pet Armour Plus Drops ($25 at Walmart).  They were middle of the road priced and got good reviews so......  My questions are:

1.  I put them on the back of his neck and he rubbed against the wooden railing by accident and some of the oil rubbed off.  Hard to judge how much but about the size of a couple of quarters.  Should I reapply with another packet or just let it go??  I realize they can get sick with this stuff so I dont want to go overboard with it.

2.  How soon is it safe to let him back in the house.  How quickly do the fleas die.

3.  With him being outside 70% of the time, do I use another tube before the 30 day "reapply time" as the box states?

Thanks

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If he's going to be outside, you will need to re-apply it every month or so.  I am not sure how long the product takes to kill fleas but it shouldn't be more than a day or two.  Check the directions - there should be something there.  Can you confine him to one room while he's inside for a day or two - a room without rugs that can be easily cleaned.

I wouldn't apply another packet just yet.  He rubbed it off because it burns them when it is applied - it is like getting alcohol on a cut.  So in future, I can bet you will have to trick him when it is time to apply it.

I take it he's neutered - if not he's going to roam.  And roaming is a sure-fire way for him to get hurt.

Thank you for adopting him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jramseyrob

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So 24 hours after applying the Pet Armour Plus the cat still has fleas.  Not quite as many but......  I suppose thats why you buy Advantage and spend the extra $15.