My female cat has a swollen belly after being sprayed

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi there
My female cat was sprayed 1 week ago and I realised today after work that she has a swollen belly. Is this normal? Is something wrong?
I can't tell by this picture. Would you be able to take a picture further away this way we might be able to see what you are referring to? Is her whole belly swollen or is she getting a bump near the incision?

Also if you are concerned maybe you can email the pictures to the vet too and see what they say as well.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I understand being worried for sure.
I don't think this is an emergency where you would need to take her to an emergency vet. Her incision does look good, it doesn't looked infected (i.e. red, I don't see any discharge, no separation)
This being said I am not a vet and am only going by the pictures. Maybe you can find a 24 hour emergency vet that you can call. I would ask them if you can email them the pictures and see if they would want you to bring her in.
Are you noticing her whole belly swollen or is she developing a bump by her incision?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ellavera

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No just a bump in the incision area. No discharge and not red. I'm worried because she is very active and I am at work during the day and she is alone for about 6 hours and I can't stop her from jumping. Otherwise she is in good spirits and is eating normally. I will see what vet says from pictures I sent. Thank you

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is normal for a lump near the incision site to occur these are called seromas. Attached is a link that explains a couple different lumps.

Below is an excerpt from the link. This is what cats that are more active after getting spayed tend to get.

Seromas After Being Spayed
Seromas are fairly common after surgery. A seroma is a buildup of fluid under the surface of a cat’s skin where the incision was made due to blood plasma seeping out of ruptured blood vessels.

The interesting thing about a seroma is that they can appear anywhere from a couple of days to a couple of weeks after surgery. The good news is that in most instances it will disappear on its own as the cat’s body adjusts and deals with the excess fluid.

I am not saying this is what your cat is developing. There are different causes as stated in the link. I personally would just wait til the morning and call your vet.

Please keep us posted