My FeLV+ boy is Anemic help.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

howmany

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
amandag amandag Rudy is only 16 months, I think he may of had Fevl when we got him. His mom was not vaccinated. I have taken several other cat home from a barn ,they had tested negative previously.
I don't know what to do right now the antibiotics are helping the upper respiratory infection, but will it just come back when they are finished? Are my other cats infected already or am I risking their health? I have lots of questions and few answers.
I had to put down a young favourite cat 3 years ago and I and my girls were broken hearted. The same week my husband had to put down his dieing 16 years old cat.
I would really like not to have to do that again so I am taking it one day at a time. Is he worse or the same or better.
I am sorry Gary is gone but happy for you it happened at home.
Maybe some day another cat will be lucky enough to call your house a home you sound wonderful.

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so very sorry for your loss.  Gary was fortunate to have found you.  You made his short life a happy and safe one.  Without you it would have been much worse.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amandag

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
@howmany  Were your other cats already vaccinated? The vaccination isn't 100% but it is good protection. I don't have much advice as I was fortunate with Gary he was never sick for his lifetime up until the end when he passed. It may be that you have to get him put on an extended antibiotic. Most people with multi-cat households keep the FeLV cats separated as hard as that can be since it is so contagious. It is really important that they eat and drink from separate bowls and use separate litter boxes. Cats that have had the vaccination and that are older have a better chance of shedding the virus even if they test positive the first time. So if you take them and they test positive with a "snap" you should wait and have the vet confirm it with an IFA test. I hope your others are negative and that Rudy gets over his infection with the first round of medicine! Did the vet check his blood to get a count on his white blood cells, platelets, and red blood cells?

howmany

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The 4 kittens aren't vaccinated they are indoors cats and thier mom tested negative when they were ten weeks old and I took her to be spayed. Unfortunately she went missing in the late fall.
It took financial planning to get them all spayed and neutered. Our other older cat had tested negative, and one is vaccinated , because Rudy had lived in such close contact with the kittens half litter mate half second mom, my vet said separating them right now was not important he could be wrong, he did not suggest blood counts.
Thanks for asking and again my condolences.

amandag

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
​I would find another Vet to be honest....if he knows that Rudy is FeLV positive and didn't check his blood count he isn't concerned with his health. FeLV positive cats should have their levels checked every 3 to 6 months b/c anemia can develop so quickly. I've also never heard a vet or anyone with knowledge of FeLV not suggest separating positive and unvaccinated cats. I hope they are all negative but you should do some research on your own. http://www.felineleukemia.org/ is a great resource

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I just want to say I am so sorry for your loss. You did everything you could. I hope you can look back on the happy memories soon.  As someone who lost my girl to anemia it turned out to be bone marrow cancer. Rare. But deadly. We did a transfusion against my vets recommendation. We were hoping it was a parasite infection. Sadly it wasn't meant to be. We got 3 weeks. They were up front with me. She got a heart murmur due to the added fluids on her system despite doing an 8 hour slow drip. She was a very special girl. She wasn't affectionate but outside she was. She slept on my lap outside in the cold weather. I am glad you are going to do something good in his name. Anemia sneaks up so quickly. She was only ill for a month. She quit eating but due to other cats I didn't notice it until it was too late..now I am more aware of things...So very sorry again for your loss.

amandag

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
@foxxycat  Thanks, it is very hard....we knew the day would come but I guess I kept hope that maybe he was one of the lucky 10% that would carry the virus and never get sick from it..... Sorry for your loss as well, seems you did everything possible to save your baby also. 

Docs Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
amandag amandag I just now saw that Gary passed, I feel for you... at least he passed peacefully at home.

I admit that having children, who get attached easily, would make it hard to adopt another Felv +. I hope you can give another kitty your love and home ..
Even though it hurts too much to think about now.
Many hugs,
Lisa and her furkids

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
So sorry to read about Rudy's passing.  We'll lock the thread now out of respect for your loss.  We invite you to post a tribute to your friend in our Crossing the Bridge forum.  

Status
Not open for further replies.