My Fat Cats Pooey Behind!

martin1972

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have had a cat that we rescued last year, she had been living a bush in someones garden nearby for months and they asked us if we would take her in. She is old and cranky and is definitely a Daddies cat. She will not sit anywhere other than with me, when i go to bed she comes up stairs and sleeps on my back and has even mastered that log rolling trick so that when i turn over in my sleep she can move in time and then settle back down. We have 2 other cats as well (brother and sister) and have always liked having cats but I must admit I have never had a cat relationship like this. While she loves affection she will spit and reach to scratch anyone who comes near her other than me.

But. I think she has agoraphobia. She goes out to do her business a couple of times a day. We don't have a cat flap, our cats tap on the door to be let out and tap on the door to be let back in, something she has picked up very well. We do not over feed her (we feed wet food to our cats) she has 1/4 tin AM and 1/4 tin PM, I wont feed her more as all she does is sleep and sit and sleep and sit. She wont go out side unless its to do her business, she is not interested in exploring she doesn't even want to wander around the garden. 

This has lead to her in 6 months going from a normal sized cat, to a Barrel with skinny legs whose tummy drags the floor when she walks to her bowl. This also means she cannot clean herself properly, and this week every day we have woken up with messy sheets or marks on furniture from where she has pooped and not been able to wipe.

Is there anyway i can get her on a diet. I know you shouldn't crash diet them, but what products are best (UK) to help with fatty catty weight loss?

Also, how can i get her to go for a walk? I considered buying a cat lead but i know for a fact she wont go with that idea and also our dog will get jealous as well.

Any advice welcome.

Tin.

dandila

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think a visit to your vet is called for here.  They can offer you several different special diets that can take the weight off of her rather quickly without jeopardizing her overall health.  As I'm sure you are aware, overweight cats develop all sorts of problems as they age...especially with inactivity.  Your vet may recommend getting some blood work done to check to make sure all her systems are functioning properly.  Once she loses some weight she will probably be more adept at grooming herself.  Thank you so much for caring for your special cat.  I would love for my senior lady to learn the log roll technique!