My Experience With Blockages and PU Surgery

tessierrose

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This will be night two and they just finished his surgey as we speek...
The surgery went well but the doctor said he has a lot of sludge and we will know more tomorrow.
Did your kitty have lots of sludge? .. Any problems passing urine after?

:dk:

stitchiesmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, Stitch had a lot of sludge. He also had FLUTD. I'm not sure if you read my other posts but I express his bladder on a daily basis. He can't pee on his own. He was it by a car and has neurological damage so the nerves that innervate the bladder, don't work. His utethra was inflamed and the sludge couldnt pass through. That is why he needed the p.u. I can express him great now. The urethra is bigger so there is more area for the urine to come out of. Your kitty will probably need a wet foot diet and/or Royal Canine SO. Its for urinary health. Was your boy blocking because of stones or FLUTD or?? This procedure should help. Its not a guarantee but... Stitch's urine pours out now! :) even with the sludge.

tessierrose

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He has both stones and sludge. The doctor didn't mention anything about stones today though just the sludge.

I didn't read your previous posts but I will take some time and do that for sure.
You're an amazing person for taking care of an animal that is so dependant.

I'm worried also because my husband and I both work days mon-Friday and I only have a few days left for holidays.. We live in the country so it's hard to ask someone to watch him..
Ball or nerves right now, and I am normally a very level headed person.

stitchiesmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh.. I'm so sorry. It is awful having to go to work while worrying about the boy at home. The best thing for his recovery is peace and quiet, inactivity and not being able to get to the site. He should do fine on his own although you will still worry about him. That's just love. :) hang in there.

tessierrose

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the support... I will pay it forward one day. You're an angel. >

stitchiesmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Of course!! I'm not an angel. Just someone who knows what you are going through and can hopefully ease a little pain or discomfort in the "not knowing" of things. Honestly, I think all of us who do this for our babies are good people. Many people would just give up on them. They are not just pets or animals. They are souls and deserve the world. I wish Vinny a healthy life! He is lucky to have you love him so much.

tessierrose

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Vinny is happy to be home :)

All went well and he is purring away, eating, and PEEING!
It's going to be a long few days, but I'm so happy to see him feeling better!

I'm so grateful for everyone's stories, and the support it brought me through this.

Thanks again stitchiesmom for the advice and guidance.. I prayed asking God to help me get through this with strength and patience, and those are the things you have given me in just a few words. So, to me you are an angel :)

stitchiesmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh my gosh!!! Yay!! So happy for you and him! He is a doll! It will be a long few days but the weekend will be here soon! Im still here if you need me. My guy is still recovering too. :)

tessierrose

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hope your little guy is doing well! It's tough watching them struggle, looking forward to hearing an update on you little one :) Blessings!

Last edited:

tessierrose

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Vinny is showing to be a bit bloated, and still hasn't had a bowel movement... How long before your little one had one?

tessierrose

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well it's been 5 days since Vinny has been home and everything seems to be going well. He is happy and fighting to get out of his room a bit during the day.. Pulled the trim off the door a bit! Eating, peeing, pooping, and grooming his face (while I keep a close eye on him) I can't bare to watch him struggle to groom his messy face after he eats! Lol ...

I called the vet today to see if I should bring him in. He has a bit of bloody oozing coming from the incision sight starting today that wasn't there before and I am a bit concerned.. Did anyone have this too??

fionamotherofca

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
theres a vetinary food called C/D thats  what my vet recommended

Last edited by a moderator:

himalayan17

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone, not sure if this thread is still active. My 4 year old Himalayan got PU surgery 5 days ago. He stayed at the vet for 2 nights and came home. He peed the first 2 days being at home but he hasnt peed in 24 hours. He also hasn't stooled and today will be the 5th day. Is this normal? Maybe he doesnt want to stool because its painful? We have been giving him his precription wet foods. Hes eating well and drinking water. I'm not sure why he hasnt peed in a day yet. Im getting worried. Im wondering if he doesnt like the new litter in his box. The vet said to bring him in but he is traumatized by the vet and surgery that I dont want to take him back!!! He is terrified of every single sound. He jumps and freaks out and hes not supposed to jump which worries me more...does anyone have any word of advice or reassurance? These past few days have been miserable for my cat and my family. It has been so stressful having to watch his every move. 

molldee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Take him back to the vet asap if he hasn't peed after a day or two. It's important that they pee. They can get reblocked.

himalayan17

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Take him back to the vet asap if he hasn't peed after a day or two. It's important that they pee. They can get reblocked.
So we called the vet and they asked us to bring him in. They're saying it may be a blood clot from the surgery that's blocking his pee. Has this happened to anyone? Praying that they will be able to make him pee by expressing his bladder.

elise1030

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
They can reblock if there is still some crystals or as the vet said, a blood clot or it may just have some yucky ooze that has dried up over the wound preventing him from peeing.

lokipuss

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi GusMom and MissNerves and all others on this thread.  My 2/12 year old male cat, Loki has been home now for 8 days post PU surgery and almost a week at the after hours emergency clinic.  My heart goes out to all who have experienced UO and PU surgery.  I had no idea about any of this until Loki blocked for the first time on August 14, 2014 at 4:00 a.m.  When the ER vet came out and said "yep, he's blocked" I just looked at him like he was speaking a foreign language.  I grew up on a small farm, had over 10 cats on our property and never had this happen.  Of course, we never fed our cats processed food.  They were mousers primarily and killed their own food.  Occasionally, table scraps were put out, but the dogs usually got to them first.

Before he blocked for the 4th and 5th time, I thought he was improving, to some degree.  He's had so many different types of antibiotics to treat the infections (according to the vet) that I'm worried he'll begin building an immunity to them.  Gusmom, I feel every bit of your pain, frustration, fear, worry, guilt, etc.  We have lived in this state for almost 3 months.  He has been to his primary vet and the ER every week for 11 weeks. (urine samples, fear of re-blocking episodes, foaming reaction to compounded antibiotic..)  I'm so glad to hear your Gus is recovering so well.  I know the first few days were horrible, not knowing what to expect.  Loki didn't have a BM for almost 7 days !  But he finally did and now seems to be going every day or every other day.  It's amazing to me how strong our little guys are.  In my fear, I don't think I was giving him enough credit.  Cats that are so incredible at hiding their pain, have got to have a tremendous will to live.  I do the same thing with Loki, talking to him and singing to him.  He meows when I sing You are my Sunshine.

I echo so many others in that this community thread has been such a comfort.  Thank you all for sharing your stories; it has helped me get through so many sleepless nights while Loki sleeps in his cage.  To those of you making the decision to have the PU surgery...my heart goes out to you.  At first I was in denial because I wanted to holistically heal Loki with a better diet of wet food only and more water.  But sometimes the damage has been done and the surgery is the best option.  Make sure you have a board certified surgeon performing this surgery !  It should be done by someone that does it routinely.  It's scary and there's no guidebook, but just rely on your instincts, watch and love your baby.  I've been able to take a few days off to stay with him because I don't want to keep him locked up all the time and I never leave him alone for more than two hours.  (however, I would invest in a cage to limit jumping, pacing, etc.)  The first few nights, I slept on the floor by his cage, then opened the cage door and he sleeps next to me on the floor all night now.  We've kind of settled into a routine that he won't eat until he visits the litter box, then I normally feed him by hand.  The last day or so, I've taken the cone off for feeding and then let him bath for about 20 - 30 minutes, watching him like a hawk during bathing.  (He's a cat and he will try to get to the incision site.)  Then the cone goes back on and he stays on his bed (stacked fuzzy blankets) on my desk while I work.  He'll nap on my desk most of the day.  I feed him 3 or 4 times, small amounts with a little water added.  I also give him 1 or 2 cc of water by syringe.  Four more days until his post op check up with the surgeon.  (Praise God that everything will be fine !)

There is so much great information out there, especially from Dr. Lisa Pierson @ catinfo.org.  I believe everything she says about dry food.  Funny, we humans know processed food is killing us and now were allowing processed foods to kill our pets.  Loki has been on Hills c/d since he blocked the first time, but I was concerned about the high amount of carbs in the food. I've changed him to Ziwipeak, Rabbit and Lamb wet food and he absolutely loves it.  It's listed on Dr. Pierson's cat food list and is very low in carbs and phosphorus.  Not only has he been addicted to his dry food (fish no less-Fromm Tunachovy), he hated wet food.  From the time I brought him home at 12 weeks, I could not get him to eat wet food.  I had no idea fish is not what we should feed our cats.  Ziwipeak has a venison and fish that I will feed to him on occasion, but the rabbit and lamb will be number one on the menu.

Again, thanks to all who have taken the time to share your experiences and may God bless all of us and our furry ones on our PU journeys.  Take Care !

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@LokiPuss, I'm so sorry that you and Loki are going through this. My thoughts are with you both as you journey through the healing process. Sending lots of vibes for a quick and successful recovery. 

butchy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My beautiful cat Butch just had this surgery today after recurring blockages. I was very optimistic after speaking with the surgeon about it, but now lying here in bed reading all about it I am very anxious, upset, etc. Very concerned about possible complications during recovery. He has been through a lot already and is just the most lovely cat. I am going to visit him tomorrow after work, and then maybe bring him home the following day. So stressful. :(