My Experience With Blockages and PU Surgery

mr frank

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. Frank is doin well but seems to be leaking urine quite a bit. Is this normal? X

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think it can be at first. Remember it will take a little while for everything to heal fully. If it doesn't improve over the course of the week then contact your vet - just to be sure that everything's ok.

pisces7386

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This may be a few days late, but my little Bear was leaking like crazy after both of his PU Surgeries this past April (he ended up needing it redone because of scar tissue). I could see it drip out at first. The leaking should slowly stop...We just put a towel under him all the time and changed it often. I think it was three weeks from the last surgery before we stopped noticing the urine smell on his blankets/towels. As long as you see improvement I wouldn't worry too much.

And just to reassure you with another successful PU story- little Bear had his done in late march, redone two and a half weeks later (he couldn't pee after the stitches were removed because of scar tissue) and here we are in mid August doing just fine! I still like to watch him pee when I notice him heading to the box, to make sure that he isn't straining... but he has been just fine ever since he got his stitches out the second time! One difference I noticed is that he likes to stand up when he has to poop now. I think pooping was painful after the surgery and he got into the standing habit. 

I've seen it mentioned a few times here by other folks, but don't hesitate to msg me if you need a shoulder to cry on. I think these surgeries can be as stressful on us humans as it is on our little kitties. I know I was in tears many many times while Bear was recovering.

mr frank

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
In need of advice. I'm away for a few nights and my mum's been round to see frank. Apparently he ma aged to get out the house last nt and spent the night outside. He seems ok but my mum's worried he hasn't wanted to eat today and appears to be straining on the toilet again. He's has little wees but wiv a bit of blood in it so he may be straining for a poo?? We're not sure. Should I b worried?

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds like a stress reaction - UTI flares are often stress related. If he's peeing blood, then he needs to see a vet - especially as its so close to his surgery. Its pretty common for a flare up to happen in the first few months after the original issue.

I hope Frank gets better soon :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

pisces7386

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would bring him in if he is straining, particularly if there is blood that wasn't there before. The new blood means something is bleeding that wasn't before... and that needs attention.  

mr frank

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Mr frank went back to the vets yesterday and has an enlarged bladder. After straining on the dirt tray for two days and passing blood stained urine he has been sent home with antibiotics and pain killers. Next app tomorrow and his stitches may be taken out too

mr frank

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi guys. Sorry for not writing for a while but iv been so busy with kids on holiday and trying to work still. So frank was looking miserable again and straining on the dirt tray and passing blood last wk. when I took frank back to the vets they told me his bladder was enlarged and he most likely had cystitis. Gave him antibiotics for twice a day and Told me that he would probably suffer from infections now but the most important thing is that his not blocking. He's much better this wk and peeing well. His stitches have been removed and collar off ya! !!! He's goin out again for a few hrs a day too so he is very happy. Fingers crossed kow x

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sorry to hear that Frank has been up and down. It's fantastic that there have been no further blockages though. I'm glad Frank's feeling better now. :cross: that he's on the mend once and for all now :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

pisces7386

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So I have a question- My Bear had a PU and revision 6 months ago. This morning I found him straining in the box. Are there more options? 

I'm pretty upset right now- he's only 2 years old. I wish he wasn't having problems .

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is he on an muscle relaxers like prazosin? Mine did not have PU surgery but did have a blockage and my vet indicated anytime I get an inkling he is straining to give him the muscle relaxer.

pisces7386

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He didn't look like he was straining so much as just not going. I do have some prazosin left over and I may try it. 

I took him in to a new vet this morning ( we moved long distance). So here is what happened- I caught little Bear trying in the box this morning; he made two dribble spots and then I tried to feel his bladder... and then he puked. I thought maybe it was just that his stomach was off so I tried feeding him, he gladly ate it all. then he went and pooped, but it got stuck in his butt and he wiped it on the carpet (of course).  A few hours later we finally got in to see the vet. The vet didn't feel a full bladder so I asked them to do an x-ray to look at what was going on. All he really saw was some air in his colon. They also took a sterile urine sample for urinalysis (and culture if it looks like he has an infection). The vet asked about his food and said we could do an allergy test to see if the gas was caused by a food allergy or dehydration.

At the end  the vet basically said there was no blockage, the gas in his colon may be caused by mild dehydration and that we would check if he had a bladder or urinary tract infection. He offered pain killers for his discomfort. The 'dehydration=gas' sounds strange to me... but I guess we will go with it and see what the culture shows.

toulousesmomma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My boy got the PU surgery about 2-3 years ago. Every now and then he gets the occasional UTI despite me having him on the best food possible. I was wondering, can anyone tell me how their cat's area down there looks after the PU surgery? My cats area usuallly just looks like a small red opening but today it looked dark dark red and was swollen. I just spent over 300 dollars getting him a check up and meds for his uti and various other things so i would prefer not to take him in if this isnt a big issue. :( 

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If the look of the opening has changed, then that's a definite red flag to me...especially if its redder and swollen. I hate to say it, but it sounds like a trip back to the vet. If money is really tight, you could see if you could have a phone consultation and email a clear picture of the area to your vet. They might still insist on seeing him, but as he was seen so recently it's possible they'll be able to help you without another visit. One way or another, though, he needs a vet. Sorry :(

ursulalynn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One of my little dudes had this surgery today.
Vet called and said it went fine but she is worried about him mucking with the stitches.
He is two years old, and he had his first ever blockage a week ago. HORRIBLE. I've never heard an animal scream in pain like that, it was horrendous. He's my baby and I almost lost my mind. Thankfully he is a loud kitty and warned me early so none of his readings were even elevated yet. Three day stay in the hospital, got to take him home, he was soooo pleased to be happy and snuggly with his brother on his favorite chair. Then about three hours after bringing him home he started crying again, at about two in the morning; I rushed him to the vet again and he again had blocked! I couldn't believe it.
Apparently his urethra is abnormally narrow, and the vet advised that while some cats improve after a diet change, et cetera, because of his narrowness he is absolutely going to block again. She recommended the surgery and I adore my vet, I trust her to the moon and back.
But this has been terrible! My other boy is so lonely, my little patient has now been at the vet for pushing two weeks with only a few hour break, and I can't take time off work because the expense of all this is going to use all my savings and then some!
Just feeling so overwhelmed right now. I just want this nightmare to be over and for my little boy to be home again, but I am so worried I won't be able to nurse him to health properly and I'll muck it up.
I'm exhausted and haven't slept more than a couple hours every night, lost five pounds.
I'm a wreck. :(
My little house isn't the same without my boy chirruping and roaming around. His brother just sleeps now, he's so bored and lonely.
Argh!

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
toulousesmomma toulousesmomma How's your boy doing now?

ursulalynn ursulalynn :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:
Blockages are so scary. It sounds like you have a great vet, and that your boy is being well looked after. Don't feel bad about not being able to take time off to see him - the important thing is for him to get well. He's in the best place.

Don't panic about nursing him at home - I'm sure you'll do everything just fine. He will get through this (as will you). There are plenty of easy things you can do to keep him healthy. I know how overwhelming this can be.

If it helps, my boy had a bad blockage when he was 3 - we caught it late, and he was close to rupture by the time he was treated. He came through it just fine, though he was hospitalised for a while. That was 10 years ago. He's been fine ever since. There's no reason at all to think that your boy won't be the same.[article="29715"][/article]

[article="30756"][/article][article="30274"][/article][article="30316"][/article][article="32758"][/article]

ursulalynn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
@columbine Thank you for the kind words. It was just so terrible to bring home home for that short bit, me and him soooo relieved to be done with it all and cuddling, and then to have to take him back in pain for more surgery!
He is my first kitty - my first pet, actually - and I am so nervous about making a mess of his recovery. I've just never dealt with a sick little guy before. :(
Thank you for the links. I think I may put my other kitty on C/D even though he has never had thi problem, just to be safe. I'm a bit paranoid I guess. Is that a good idea?

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Talk to your vet before putting the other cat on c/d. Prescription diets can cause other issues if they're not needed. In this case, there's a risk of over acidifying the urine and causing calcium oxalate stones, which are much harder to treat. If your vet thinks its fine, then ok, but don't do it without asking first!

The single biggest thing you can do to prevent stones of any kind is keep the cats really well hydrated. This means as much wet food (as opposed to dry) as possible - if you want or need to feed some kibble, then its even more important to boost hydration through other means. I would always add a little water to each wet meal (start with a tablespoon, and experiment with increasing. Some cats like their food surprisingly sloppy!), and try other methods too. A big hit in my house is chicken water - simply poach some chicken (or cover some fillets with water, cover and bake), and feed the water to the cats as a treat. Its a fantastic way to treat them AND get extra fluid into them at the same time!

In terms of catching things early in the future, clumping litter is a big help. You'll soon get to know the normal clump size for your boys. If you start seeing many smaller clumps, its time to call the vet.

Hang in there. You will get through this. :hugs: :vibes: