My ex is very sick

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor Faith, after going through all the trauma of losing and finding Bilbo, she now has to go through the even worse experience of her father being diagnosed with stomach cancer. He has been having tests for two weeks after being admitted to intensive care coughing up blood. They put a stent in his stomach to enable him to eat, and started him on drip feeding as well. Faith got the news as soon as she got home from her school trip, went to see him last Thursday and is still there, though going home today.

It does not look good. He was pronounced clear of prostate cancer 18 months ago, and this has come out of the blue. He is expecting to leave hospital today, but they are arranging for a palliative care team to look after him at home, and he sees the oncologist again on May 6th to discuss the tests and what the options are. At the moment they are not going to operate.

Faith is very close to her Dad, and is naturally distraught. She says it has not sunk in yet. I am also sorry for his wife, who nursed him very well through the prostate crisis and now does not know what the future holds.

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh gosh, this is a lot for Faith to deal with. Does she have sisters or brothers who can support her?

I will keep you all in my prayers. It is so hard to see a parent this way. I took care of my dad at home here and was at his side when he passed away.

I think Faith has a wonderful mom to lean on when and if the time comes.

God bless.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jennyranson

Faith is very close to her Dad, and is naturally distraught. She says it has not sunk in yet. I am also sorry for his wife, who nursed him very well through the prostate crisis and now does not know what the future holds.
Originally Posted by farleyv

I think Faith has a wonderful mom to lean on when and if the time comes.

God bless.
Oh Jenny, how horrible of a situation. I am thankful that Faith has someone like you to lean on. I do hope that his wife also has some sort of support too.

Although this is not a nice situation: I am glad that you get along/are still in touch with your ex. A lot of ppl are not, and I find that sad when there are kids involved. (of course this does NOT apply to seperations due to abuse of any sorts). One needs a working relationship with their ex to be good parents. I'm glad you have that, and with that are able to support your daughter through this trying time.

Many vibes for your ex, your daughter, and his wife. You too as well, this is a hard thing to deal with to anyone.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish I could be more of a support, but in fact I have not really been in touch with him for years, apart from specific events to do with Faith. And as for his current wife, she has always refused to meet me or to come to Faith's graduation, 21st etc. I have never understood why - we split up amicably, dividing everything equally, and she did not meet him till three years later. So none of it makes sense. Faith says she is very nice and is scared of the idea of me, so I have learnt to accept it. She has three grown-up children of her own, and Faith has a half-brother by her dad's first marriage (I was number 2) but they all live hundreds of miles apart, which makes things difficult. So all I can do is be there for Faith and send my hopes and best wishes through her.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jennyranson

I wish I could be more of a support, but in fact I have not really been in touch with him for years, apart from specific events to do with Faith. And as for his current wife, she has always refused to meet me or to come to Faith's graduation, 21st etc. I have never understood why - we split up amicably, dividing everything equally, and she did not meet him till three years later. So none of it makes sense. Faith says she is very nice and is scared of the idea of me, so I have learnt to accept it. She has three grown-up children of her own, and Faith has a half-brother by her dad's first marriage (I was number 2) but they all live hundreds of miles apart, which makes things difficult. So all I can do is be there for Faith and send my hopes and best wishes through her.
Jenny, I'm sorry to hear this sad news. It's so very difficult to lose a parent.

My hubby's girlfriend is similar to your ex's wife. She is friendly enough but feels very insecure with me still being a big part of his family. She told me it's hard for her to integrate into the family with me being there. That's too bad since I have no plans to go anywhere.

I'll keep you all in my thoughts and prayers.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Jenny, I'm so sorry to hear this news. It's a tough situation no matter from whose viewpoint. I know you are a wonderful support for Faith, even though you are at some distance physically, and I send my thoughts and prayers for all concerned.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Faith learned last night that her dad will not be sent home - he is going to need tube feeding that can only be done professionally and they can't yet control his nausea. They have also found another mass and are not yet sure what it is. Now the talk is of sending him straight to a hospice and of the timing being only a month or so. Faith just cannot take it in - the day he went to hospital he completed a 3 mile walk in the morning and then cut down a tree. Now, less than three weeks later, he can't even shower on his own and his time is strictly limited.

I don't know what to do - Faith is numb with it all and says she is a horrible person because she can't yet cry. I have tried to reassure her that this is normal - Subconsciously she is still in denial, and it is the body's way of coping. I want to write to his wife but I am not sure it is the right thing to do. He himself is apparently not yet admitting to it all, and just wants to go home, which again is normal. It is all so difficult.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Jenny if you google "The Grieving Wheel" it might help Faith. When my friend lost her husband, the Macmillan Nurse gave her a leaflet on the stages she would be going through.

As for writing to his wife, if there's been no animosity between either of you she might appreciate some comforting words