My DNA results are in!

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
As I don't know much about my family, I've always wanted to get my DNA tested to discover my ethnic background. I waited 11 years to do so, and finally did it on September 29th. 

My background is a bit boring, I think. I'm a bit disappointed that there's no Native American, etc. DNA. I guess my ancestors didn't travel much! And those Vikings have a LOT to answer for!

EUROPE, WEST=50%

IRELAND=21%

EUROPE, EAST=14%

SCANDINAVIA=10%

FINLAND/NORTH WEST RUSSIA=2%

GREAT BRITAIN=2% (WHAT?? Mom was from England, as was my Dad's grandfather!)

ASIA, SOUTH=less than 1%

Bear in mind, these are only estimates. They test your saliva sample 40 times, and compare your results to groups of populations. I'm shocked to see how Irish I am!

The process was simple. You pay for the kit, it arrives, you register it online and obtain a number, you spit into a tube, cap it, and return it to the testing company, and wait about 4 weeks for your results to be emailed to you. I waited 11 years to do this, and finally did it.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cool! It's fun to find out more about family heritage.

My brother did a DNA test. There are some tests only men can do because they run on the Y chromosome. I don't remember the exact results but they were mostly what we were expecting (British/German/French). One surprising thing was a fairly high percentage of Scandinavian, something like 24% I think. We aren't aware of any Scandanavians in the family. . .might have to be chalked up to those pesky Vikings! Also a small percentage of North African---Morocco, Tunisia, Algeria, etc.. That was unexpected but if you look at a map, Northern Africa isn't very far from France. No Native American, sorry Grandpa (he always claimed he was 1/4 Cherokee, lol). I might do one for myself someday; the tests that run on the X chromosome sometimes come up with slightly different results.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
If you think your DNA results show a boring heritage, you should see mine.  I'm almost 100% from Ireland and Great Britain.  The weird thing about this is that many of my ancestors actually came from France and Germany and we've got a meticulously researched family tree to prove it.  

msserena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've done the DNA saliva as well. I mainly did it to see what kind(s) of health issues I might be predisposed to. I can't really figure out how to read all the results so as long as there's nothing major, I'm good.

What company did you use? I did the 23&me one

Last edited: