My Dear Old Susy

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Susy was one of the first feral cats I rescued when I moved into the area I live in. She showed up one spring, very skinny and very pregnant, and was keen to make friends with anyone who would feed her. I only had one cat at that time, so it made sense for me to start feeding Susy too. Shortly after she started coming for food she had two kittens in an abandoned house near to mine.

ZebMia1.jpg

Susy was a great mother. She was very protective of her kittens and would chase off any other animals that came near. The kittens started following her to my house after a few months, so our little family grew to 4 cats. I got them all blood tested and vaccinated and had Susy spayed. I made appointments to get both of the kittens fixed when they turned 6 months old too. Sadly, before that happened, the male kitten Zebedee disappeared. Susy and I were heartbroken.

Zeb3.jpg

But Susy still had Mia and the two of them moved in with us full time.

MiaSusy2.jpg

There were a lot of needy cats in my neighbourhood at that time and I didn't want any of them to have to struggle to survive. I got a lot of cats fixed, found homes for kittens and ended up taking in any friendly cats who couldn't find homes. Susy was less than impressed. Even though most of my other cats got on very well together Susy never bonded with any of them. She always insisted on having her own room, which she sprayed regularly to keep out intruders, and would start fights with anyone she took a disliking to. But I guess that's what you get with your typical calico cat. Susy had her sweet side too.

She was always very chatty and vocal. We nicknamed her Susy Siren. She was also known as Susy Mao Mao, as that's what she'd answer when we called her name. Whenever I went for walks Susy would follow me to the edge of her territory, then meow at me not to go any further. When I'd come back an hour or so later she'd always be waiting for me.

Our vet got to know her well over the years. She had a couple of UTI's, but most of the time the reason we had to take her to the vet was for war wounds. She'd have a torn ear or an infected scratch from picking fights with bigger cats. All of my cats were wary of her and backed down when they saw her coming. Susy was the queen, and she knew it.

Susy2.jpg

Over the past year Susy has been slowing down. She started to walk kind of stiffly and I noticed bouts of incontinence. Our vet carried out blood tests and suggested joint supplements for her arthritis. It seemed she wasn't sick so much as very old. I don't know exactly how old she was, but I'd been caring for her for over 12 years. She started to lose weight and spent most of her time sleeping. I think the rest of my cats must have breathed a sigh of relief. At least they didn't have to worry about being slapped for breaking one of Susy's rules.

A few weeks ago she stopped eating. We took her to the vet a couple of times for SubQ fluids and I did my best to syringe feed her, but Susy didn't want to know. After a couple of days of me struggling to syringe KMR into her Susy took to her basket and never got up again. She passed away last Saturday, wrapped in a blanket in front of the heater. I think it was a pretty peaceful way to go.

Susy30.jpg

Susy, my dear old girl. You were quite a character and it was an honor to have been your human for so long. When you get to heaven please give Zebedee a hug from me. You'll find lots of our other feline friends waiting there for you too.

Mia and I miss you. Sleep well my love.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a beautiful tribute to such a lovely Queen of your household! I know in my heart she will be waiting for you. scolding you because you took so long.
That is one thing with a cat's love, it enters your heart and soul and never leaves. A permanent part of you. Her love will forever be as close as your thoughts and prayers, she will live on through you now, helping you to keep all those other cats in line. Her love will insert itself right beside all the others you treasure, adding to theirs and becoming even more special.
You have been so honored to have cared for and loved so many of these beautiful, unique little ones. Each one a diamond in your heavenly tiara. One day there will be such a reunion in that blessed place, all those beautiful little souls greeting and loving you, Thanking you for giving them the one thing they wanted most on this earth, someone to love them. You have been so blessed.......
Know that I will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers. Because though we have loved and lost so many, each loss brings about sadness and grieving that leaves a hole in our hearts. Until it is filled with a new love. Take care........RIP precious Susy. You will always be remembered, you will always have a secure place in loving hearts. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:hugs:I'm so sorry for your and Mia's loss and your sadness. I'm no good at writing condolensces - I'll leave that to those who can do it better. Susy had a wonderful life with you and even her death was peaceful. I'm glad about that as life doesn't always end as we would like it to. You did a marvellous job and she was obviously very happy wth you. Lovely photos and memories for the future when you've got over your grief. RIP little Susy!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Susy, dream you deep. Your pawprints are on someone's heart forever.

What a wonderful life, and gentle passing, you gave to Susy. After her rough start, she found her haven, and it was both your home and your heart. From that moment on, she lived, breathed and had her being wrapped in your love. Your love went with her to guide her way as she stepped through the Gate between This Adventure and her Next Great Adventure. Now, from her new home in That Place Where All Things Are Known, she send her love, translated and purified into Love, back to you to walk beside you down through all of your days. Because Love abides. Always, forever, Love abides.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You do so much for the cats in your area, Norachan, you always did.
Susy knew where to go to since from the start, she chose the right home, the place where she would have been loved, treated and revered as she deserved, and you didn't fail her.
She was the queen of the place and as a queen she left, proudly and with dignity.

Thanks for sharing this touching tribute with us.

RIP Susy, your pawprint will never be erased, you will never be forgotten.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I just saw this thread and your admirable tribute to Susy Mao Mao. She stood the test of time and has you to thank for it. 🤗 It sounds like she was a tell it like it is kinda gal and didn't let anyone stand in her way. She kept intruders out but let you into her heart.💞 Now she is at peace, RIP dear angel.:angel:

thanatos0042

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I mourn with you, she was a beautiful cat and she loved you and knew you loved her. I am so sorry for your loss. Thank you for telling the story you tow shared. She'll always be with you and be waiting for the time when everyone gets to meet up again. It's just maddening we only get them for such a short time, but it seems like you made the best of every minute.