My Daddy's Cat

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The arthritis you mother mentioned does sound viable.  How old is Grey Poupon again?   Yes, do find a vet you like  and have him checked out.  Could be arthritis, especially if he is an older cat. 

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
we use the light weight litter for our arthritic kitties. it comes in a clear jar with blue cap-its unscented...around $8.25 a jug. I have to look up the brand-its at the grocery store-the grit is small enough to move easily but large enough where its able to retain water. I tried the store brand light litter and it is powdery and super messy. sometimes you have to experiment with different boxes or litter.

I got a litter box with a lower front lip to aid in getting in. the bad side is they kick litter everywhere so I vacuum every other day in front of the box. the oldest kitty uses a kitten litter tray-she prefers smaller litter box. I used to have a huge storage container that's 5-6 inches high and she wouldn't use it. so now we got one of those smaller litter trays-I don't know how she hasn't tipped it over as its smaller than her-but its because she doesn't dig. she walks in squats and kicks  some dirt over it and walks out. she has always been a nondigger.

not sure if this will help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sara222

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The arthritis you mother mentioned does sound viable.  How old is Grey Poupon again?   Yes, do find a vet you like  and have him checked out.  Could be arthritis, especially if he is an older cat.  ;)
Poupon will be 8 years old in a month. Assuming arthritis is the cause is there anything I can do to help him stay comfortable? I hate thinking he is in pain.

sara222

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
we use the light weight litter for our arthritic kitties. it comes in a clear jar with blue cap-its unscented...around $8.25 a jug. I have to look up the brand-its at the grocery store-the grit is small enough to move easily but large enough where its able to retain water. I tried the store brand light litter and it is powdery and super messy. sometimes you have to experiment with different boxes or litter.

I got a litter box with a lower front lip to aid in getting in. the bad side is they kick litter everywhere so I vacuum every other day in front of the box. the oldest kitty uses a kitten litter tray-she prefers smaller litter box. I used to have a huge storage container that's 5-6 inches high and she wouldn't use it. so now we got one of those smaller litter trays-I don't know how she hasn't tipped it over as its smaller than her-but its because she doesn't dig. she walks in squats and kicks  some dirt over it and walks out. she has always been a nondigger.

not sure if this will help.
I did buy lightweight litter this last time, and indeed you are correct. The store bought got everywhere! Because he is long haired, it truly seemed to stick to him. Vacuuming is no big deal, I just was not expecting it. The other sounds interesting, will have to do some research.
I know for Mom, she says that staying active seems to help her arthritis somewhat. Is this true in cats as well? He is a cat... a naturally lazy sort. But I have noticed a definite lethargy recently. I had pegged him as depressed, but perhaps his unwillingness to move is more complicated?

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Eight years of age seems awfully young for a cat to have arthritis.  I don't know.  Some one more knowledgeable would need to answer this.  Are you planning on taking him to the vet to have him checked out?

sara222

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Eight years of age seems awfully young for a cat to have arthritis.  I don't know.  Some one more knowledgeable would need to answer this.  Are you planning on taking him to the vet to have him checked out?
Absolutely! I am researching vets in our area and should find one in the next day or two.