My credit card info was

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by xposigroovex

Kinda happened to me before. My card kept getting denied so I went to an ATM and the machine ate my card! My bank said someone had stolen a lot of info. somehow and my card was on that list so they had to issue me a new one. Didn't get my info stolen directly I guess but kinda.
A few months ago, I went to draw money from my account at an ATM at work and it said that it was an invalid account!!!

I called the bank and was told that Visa (I had a visa checkcard) had flagged hundreds of account numbers as possibly being stolen. So to be safe, they cancelled all the cards. My bank then changed to mastercard as their checkcard. I had to borrow some money from a friend so I could get some lunch.

I keep a close watch on my account now though the bank's website.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Marishka

Also, we do not keep numbers of credit cards, everything ends with the last four numbers, and not one person in the store has access to it. It goes automatically via computer to the bank, and we have a little slip that just proves the card was used (with date, time, store number, stuff like that pertaining to the store) that is taken to the bank (but no information is on there that could be used to steal card numbers or info).
That's GOOD to know. Last time I worked in retail, I could open up the register journal and look at everyone's credit card numbers and Exp. dates. I was a appalled at the time.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I can't believe this - just after I give you all of this identity theft information, I received an email with this opening line (BTW - I can't find the earlier email, just one saying don't put this information on my laptop):

We are sending you this e-mail because you have previously been sent a notification from -----, dated October 31, 2006, regarding a potential compromise of your personally identifiable information (“PIIâ€), as a result of a laptop theft in Orlando, Florida.

So now I have to put fraud alerts on everything and watch my credit reports. We've already been through this with a previous employer of hubby (someone downloaded the employee database with SSN, date of birth, addresses and threatened to publish it on the web). Why do the credit companies and crooks make it so darn inconvenient for us?

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katachtig

So now I have to put fraud alerts on everything and watch my credit reports. We've already been through this with a previous employer of hubby (someone downloaded the employee database with SSN, date of birth, addresses and threatened to publish it on the web). Why do the credit companies and crooks make it so darn inconvenient for us?
Because the easier we make things for ourselves, the harder it is for others secure.

It's like the free wifi coming to every town in the US. My town is testing it right now, but it doesn't use any type of security. So I don't even use it, I use my own. Otherwise there would be NO WAY I would check my bank account, order anything online or do anything that required security.

It's nuts!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katachtig

I can't believe this - just after I give you all of this identity theft information, I received an email with this opening line (BTW - I can't find the earlier email, just one saying don't put this information on my laptop):

We are sending you this e-mail because you have previously been sent a notification from -----, dated October 31, 2006, regarding a potential compromise of your personally identifiable information (“PIIâ€), as a result of a laptop theft in Orlando, Florida.

OMG!!!!! This is such a bad time of year for everyone.