My cousin's baby just died

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No update so far today. I believe Christie was able to go home from the hospital this morning. I'm not sure if they have a definitive answer as to the autopsy results yet, but as soon as i find out, i will let everyone know. Thankyou everyone for your continued prayers and support. We really appreciate it.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't updated in a while because there has been a lot of things going on in my family. The funeral was held yesterday. They had a beautiful graveside service for little Savanna. Christie wound up going to the flower shop the night before (we are all florists) and she decided that as Savanna's mommy, it would only be right for her to make her baby's casket spray- so she did....she did the entire funeral. I have never seen soo much love come from a grieving mother- as from that....she took one of the most devistating tasks and made it beautiful. The ceramony was private- family only, at the request of Clayton ( he is taking it the hardest....-please keep them all in your prayers). They wound up not preforming an autopsey on the baby. The reason for that is that the doctors said the baby was completely healthy- nothing was wrong with it- the problem was that Christie's body wasn't supplying the baby with the proper amount of amneotic fluid she needed..that's why she was only 8 ounces. Christie had a similar problem with her first 2 children, Zach and Breanna- but not of that caliber. So as of now, the doctors are advising Christie to wait a year before even considering having another baby- for some reason, Christie's body just doesn't distribute amneotic fluid properly- i don't know why- i have no medical knowledge of that, so i really can't explaine it. Christie is also in a lot of pain from the C-section. It's been really sad- every night since they've been home, Christie and Clayton have slept with one of the little teddy bears they had bought for Savanna and just cried. Zach and Breanna have been really wonderful with their mom- they haven't left her side. Even though it's a tradgey and a sorrowful loss- i am glad to see that they are going through it together- as a family- and not letting their emotions turn them against each other. I know God is holding them in His hands right now. Please keep praying for my family. We appreciate it.

ericanicole

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

Right now is a really sad time for my family. Around 3 CST this afternoon, my cousin called and said that she had some bad news from her doctor and had to be taken to the hospital. She and her family live in Oklahoma and I live in TN so i couldn't get there in time to meet her at the hospital. She was 5 months pregnant, and at a time when the baby (it was a little girl) was supposed to weight at least 2lbs...it only weighed 8 ounces. They said that it had started loosing weight for some reason. My cousin went in this morning with her husband for what was supposed to be a routine ultrasound at the doctors office, she had no complications before this aside from knowing the baby was underweight (she had been taking the proper vitamines and eating right) . The doctor alerted her that the baby was not gaining weight and had actually lost a significant amount of weight due to problems with the placenta and the fluid. He advised her that she needed to be admited to the hospital ASAP to recieve steroids for the best chance to try and streanghten the babys lungs so that they could preform an emergency c-section within the next two days and deliever the baby early. They said that was the best chance for the baby's survival. When she got to the hospital- they saw that the baby was in worse shape than they had thought- they gave my cousin the steroids for the baby's lungs and preformed an emergency C-section. The baby was alive when it was it was delivered...they laid her on my cousin's chest for her and her husband to see and then as fast as she came into this world..she was gone. She died in her parents arms. Please pray for my family- everyone is devistated. My cousin has two other children- Zach (10) and Breanna (8) from a previous marriage.They were really excited about having a little sister- now someone is going to have to explaine to them that their little sister is in heaven and won't be comming home. My cousin has only been married to her new husband a year and a half- he has adopted her children and this would have been his first biological child. They are all devistated. They had the nursery and everything ready..../ Please send some vibes and prayers out to her children- they don't know the baby didn't make it yet..... My cousin's name is Christie- and her husband is Clayton- please keep them in your prayers. I can't think of a more devistating thing than going in for a routine check up one minute thinking your baby is alright and then loosing your baby a few hours later. I'm at least glad that they got to say goodbye to her and see her before she passed away. I think it would have been worse had they not seen her.They named her Savannnah Renae. They took her footprints and fingerprints and a picture of her. They are allowing the hospital to do tests on her to see why she passed away and if Christie will be able to have any more children. To make matters worse- My cousin, just like me, is a florist- She works at a flowershop in Oklahoma that her ex. MIL owns
(they're very close to each other) -It is the only flower shop in town, so that means our family and extended family will have to do Savannah's funeral...That's going to make it even harder. Please keep us in your thoughts and prayers. My aunt is driving to Oklahoma as i'm typing this to go see them. We are all devistated.
I work in an NICU in Milwaukee WI, as for as you know why didnt an RT Intubate the baby ASAP and take it to a NICU? where Im from when any hospital that isnt able to care for an infant that small they call our staff and we either come get the baby or have the mom transported to our hospital. We had a baby here that was deliverd at 327 grams....less then 1 pound.
I'm terribley sorry to hear about your loss. Here we have a saying..god takes them for a reason, big and small. Sometimes people make it to heaven faster than others...its where we all belong an where we all shall go.
Bless your family.

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

I know God is holding them in His hands right now. Please keep praying for my family. We appreciate it.
Your family remains in my prayers.

Thank you for taking the time to update us despite your own sorrow.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by EricaNicole

I work in an NICU in Milwaukee WI, as for as you know why didnt an RT Intubate the baby ASAP and take it to a NICU? where Im from when any hospital that isnt able to care for an infant that small they call our staff and we either come get the baby or have the mom transported to our hospital. We had a baby here that was deliverd at 327 grams....less then 1 pound.
I'm terribley sorry to hear about your loss. Here we have a saying..god takes them for a reason, big and small. Sometimes people make it to heaven faster than others...its where we all belong an where we all shall go.
Bless your family.
Here is a quote from the OP
the baby with the proper amount of amneotic fluid she needed..that's why she was only 8 ounces
I am so very sorry for the loss of the baby and the sadness that will follow.I will keep you and your family in my prayers and may God and his Angels give her parents comfort.I also pray that if they should decide to have other children,God will see to it that she is able to carry the baby to full term.

crystal211

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm really sorry, what a terrible situation. I'm very glad they were able to hold her, though...and see her while she was still alive. I hope they are thankful for that. My thoughts and prayers are with them and your family right now.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thankyou everyone for keeping up with this thread. My family and i sincerly appreciate your prayers and kindness. I haven't talked to Christie in the last few days, but i know she's supposed to go back to the doctor for her checkup next week. Please keep her in her prayers, she's been in quite a bit of pain from the incision site of the C-section, not to mention the loss of her child. I think the doctor will hopefully be able to tell her more about having future children at the doctors visit- if she can have any more. Please keep her and her family in your prayers still. They have a long road ahead of them, but they are a family, a loving family, and i know they will make it through this. The tribute fund I set up for little Savanna Renne is doing wonderful- a lot of our family members have added money to it- so we are very happy knowing that even though we lost our little angel- we are able to help other families' little angels. That means the world to us. Little Savanna may have not been here long- but she is already making a difference, just in a different way than we had planned. Christie and Clayton are still sleeping with little Savanna's teddy bear...I'm sure they will for a while. I haven't heard any news on how Zach and Breanna are doing, but i'm hoping they are doing well. I will keep everyone posted as soon as i hear anything. Thankyou so much for your prayers and kind words! I have told Christie and Clayton about everyone on TCS that has been praying for their family- and they send their thanks as well. It helps them to know that others are thinking about their family.- They said to tell everyone that they really appreciate all of the prayers and kind words. Thankyou again everyone.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by EricaNicole

I live in Memphis and my cousin and her family live in Oklahoma. So when Christie was sent to the emergency room, i wasn't able to make it there in time.- it's an 8 hour drive. It all happened so quickly. So as far as intubating the baby goes, i'm not sure what went on- Christie did say however that they did everything in their power to save her though....but the baby was only 8 ounces.....(she should have been at least 2lbs.) There wasn't much they could do according to the doctors and all the hospital staff. I'm just glad though that they were able to hold their little angel, even though it was only for a brief moment, before she passed on. I think they knew she was going to die and chose to hold her while she took her last breath. I wish i could tell you more on what they did, but since i wasn't there i have no idea what went on. I will ask my aunt for the details though the next time i talk to her. I don't want to ask Christie and upset her. If i find out anything, i will post it. Thankyou for your story and your prayers- We really appreciate them.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thankyou, we really appreciate it!

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I will continue to pray for your family, I can't even imagine the pain that comes from loosing a child