My Cool Cat Morty, "Boxing" in the bathtub, etc.!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

unigeezer

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the nice comments everyone! I recently had to pay $700+ vet bill for poor Morty when he began having trouble urinating, and had to stay at the vet overnight on IV flushing out his bladder. Luckily I got him in quickly and there was no kidney damage.

I've always been very good with his feeding, giving wet and dry in measured amounts, and never free feeding. Since he's recovered he is now--and FROM NOW ON, only on WET food!!!

He's been on this new feeding regimen for over a month and doesn't seem to miss dry at all, which I'm so happy for! He's peeing just fine and seems even more content now, even though his total daily caloric intake is actually a bit less than before!

I would like to switch from the insanely expensive Hills prescription cd canned, to something equal in quality, like maybe "wellness" or something less expensive but still vastly superior to store-bought. I'm hoping that now that he's off dry for good, that he'll have no more crystal/blockage/bladder issues ever again!

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No Wellness for FLUTD kitties. I bought into the Wellness lies and tried to get my FLUTD kitty off the prescription food and onto Wellness canned food last year. Her crystals came back worse than ever.

For a male cat who has blocked once, I don't think I would ever risk taking him off the prescription again. For my Mazy cat, she is back on the c/d for life, though since she is due for her annual urine culture soon I have started adding a little Merrick Before Grain canned to her diet, well mixed with water. We'll see if that is working out at her check up next month. If the crystals have come back, this is the LAST time I will try to vary her diet.

Wellness is not cheaper than prescription c/d, it's about the same. Wellness, in my opinion, is no longer a high quality food, it is still just as expensive, but in my opinion, since the buy out over 2 years ago, the quality is starting to decline.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

unigeezer

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by otto

No Wellness for FLUTD kitties. I bought into the Wellness lies and tried to get my FLUTD kitty off the prescription food and onto Wellness canned food last year. Her crystals came back worse than ever.

For a male cat who has blocked once, I don't think I would ever risk taking him off the prescription again. For my Mazy cat, she is back on the c/d for life, though since she is due for her annual urine culture soon I have started adding a little Merrick Before Grain canned to her diet, well mixed with water. We'll see if that is working out at her check up next month. If the crystals have come back, this is the LAST time I will try to vary her diet.

Wellness is not cheaper than prescription c/d, it's about the same. Wellness, in my opinion, is no longer a high quality food, it is still just as expensive, but in my opinion, since the buy out over 2 years ago, the quality is starting to decline.
Thanks for the info and advice.