My CKD cat's legs getting weaker... causes??

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sillycat41

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My name is Barb too! But, I go by Barbara. Anyhow, it sounds like you have been headed in the right direction.

I use the transdermal form of mirtazapine (Mirataz). My cat has been on it for quite a while now (2021), and I only give her 1/2 dose every other day. I switch it up if needed, but I have never yet given her a full dose. Funny thing about this appetite stimulant, at least in transdermal form, is that it can take hours to make an effect, or it can take a day - I just think it is also somewhat due to the food that is being given too as my cat has her preferences. If you are feeding multiple foods, which I have to do with my cat, I think that can contribute to the 'reaction'.

Let us know how the tests go.
Hi Barbara,
I've never used the transdermal form of Mirtaz... only a 1/4 of a pill twice a week. It takes a few hours before it has an effect but last for hours. I'm curious, does the transdermal form make your cats whiny? Jengo whines the whole day! It does make him hungry but he still only eats a small amount every time he begs for food. Jengo has always been a fussy eater so it's hard to get enough food in him without supplementing by syringe feeding a meal or two.

Still waiting on Friday's test results as it was sent out to a lab instead of in-house.
Barb

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think because I only give Feeby 1/2 dose of the Mirataz every other to every third day, she doesn't get whiny. It seems a lot of the side effects occur more with larger doses than with smaller ones. It has been said that transdermals do not deliver doses that are as potent as the orals. So, perhaps that is why Feeby doesn't do any whining.

Feeby is a graze on a can of food all day long kind of gal, so she never eats much at once. That is now true of her baby food meat too. She used to scarf down a 2.5 oz jar in 15 minutes or less; now, it is more like an hour - or more. But, that is why I use the baby food meat to supplement her regular cat food, as there is no way to syringe feed her - it all comes back out of the mouth instantly, no matter the amount.

Sillycat41

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi again S Sillycat41 !

Whiny? Whiny, you say?

I laughed at a line in this coverage of mirtazapine, "it may make some cats restless, agitated and vocal (to such an extent in some cases that it is known on Tanya's Support Group as meowzapine" [LINK: Tanya's Guide - Mirtazapine (Mirataz)]
:) Jengo is a Bengal and he has always been talkative but meowapine... I like that... makes him much more vocal. He demands attention. I also read that it makes them more affectionate.

Sillycat41

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think because I only give Feeby 1/2 dose of the Mirataz every other to every third day, she doesn't get whiny. It seems a lot of the side effects occur more with larger doses than with smaller ones. It has been said that transdermals do not deliver doses that are as potent as the orals. So, perhaps that is why Feeby doesn't do any whining.

Feeby is a graze on a can of food all day long kind of gal, so she never eats much at once. That is now true of her baby food meat too. She used to scarf down a 2.5 oz jar in 15 minutes or less; now, it is more like an hour - or more. But, that is why I use the baby food meat to supplement her regular cat food, as there is no way to syringe feed her - it all comes back out of the mouth instantly, no matter the amount.
It's weird how Mirtaz effects cats. I did read that transdermals aren't as potent. As long as I can still pill him I will. I do syringe feed Jengo about once a day when he doesn't eat enough. Sometimes he licks the food off the syringe, but other times we make a mess. :rolleyes: