My CHF cat not eating or drinking

bgregory

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My Tabby seems to be going down hill.  Today he ate his meds in some baby food both morning and night, and had a drink of water this morning.  However, I watched him go to the water bowl this evening and just hover over it.  He looks like he doesn't feel good.  He's on lasix for CHF so without drinking he must be getting very dehydrated.  He wanted to get on my lap but then jumped off.  I'm desperately waiting for the vet to open in the am.  Otherwise I will have to put him through the horrible stress of a major 1 hr. trek across town to the ER. The last time I had to take him he looked like he was having a seizure.  He foamed profusely at the mouth, threw up, eyes rolled back in his head, open mouthed panting, etc.  I thought he was going to die.  There seems to be no good choices except to hope that he can pull himself through one more night until our vet who is less than 5 min. away opens at 8am.  Please, keep us in your prayers.

mamamia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry!  This may seem like a weird question, but does he still groom himself?  My cat used to have some health issues and from time to time, she would stop eating or drinking.  But she was a good groomer and hated having anything on her paws.  So, I would drop water on her paw and she would groom it off.  I was even able to get her to lick some baby food off of her paw a few times.  But water was the big thing.  Admittedly, it took quite a while to get enough water in her, but every little bit helped.  She passed many years ago, but I still remember many nights of worry with her. 

(((HUGS)))  I hope this works for you too!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bgregory

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, I did see him grooming himself after he ate his baby food.  I'm just afraid that the meds may have quit working.  He won't let me near him to do anything like put water on his paws, he is part feral and "freaks out" when I try to do anything out of the ordinary.  Thank you for your suggestion and concern.  Please just keep us in your prayers, it would mean a lot.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bgregory

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the words of encouragement.  We made it through the weekend and Tabby was feeling quite a bit better this morning.  He woke me up at 5am in his usual manner of jumping on the bed and onto my chest. :)  I was at the vet's office at 8am when they opened.  Fortunately they weren't busy and got us right in.  The vet wasn't sure if the sound in Tabby's lungs is related to his heart issue or asthma, but was more convinced it's the asthma.  We didn't opt for x-rays because it's still hard to tell from the x-ray, and I am at the point where I know his condition is terminal and I don't want to put him through any more stress than necessary.  He gave me some pills to help with the inflammation in his lungs.  When we got home Tabby's appetite was back and he ate ravenously!  He is now resting comfortably in his favorite spot.  I know that we are on borrowed time, and the emotional roller coaster is taking it's toll on me, but I want to do what's best for him while making sure he is comfortable.  All I know is that as of today we have been given more time together.  I will cherish every moment I have with him and be grateful for that.  Thanks for all of the kind wishes and prayers, they worked. :)