My cat's wound will not heal - warning - graphic photos

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

romsoccer126

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have an unspayed female who has been itching and grooming herself a ton. She scratches her neck to the point of tearing the skin. At one point one of the wounds got really large. I got antibiotics from the vet.  I have treated her with apple cyder vinegar and diatomaceous earth myself.  I have had a sock around her neck to stop her causing further damage, which has helped a lot by preventing her to get at her neck and chest.  As soon as I take it off, she will tear at her neck and chew her fur off to the point of bleeding. What can I do?? Is this caused by allergies? She is an indoor cat and doesnt have fleas.

mnm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
gosh, so sorry you are dealing with that. Our Mikki had a gash that she licked so deep she almost required surgery on her shoulder blade. She got a steroid shot... and we put a shirt on her (I always made my own) until it healed. Unfortunately she still battles with them..they start as a little scab and she goes after it..she has 2 right now... we've tried changes in her protein... she's not on any grains... also we've tried antihistamines...all with no luck. The only thing that seemed to help her was putting an anti-itch cream on the spot. It soothed it...plus...it was horribly bitter so if she did lick it..she'd spit. My only concern is I don't know how long you can just keep putting cream on it... for fear it gets in her system and is bad for her.. we had mentioned it to a couple vets that we used it and they didn't seem concerned... anyway...I hope you can find out the cause.

bessismybaby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When the vet gave her antibiotics did they say what may be causing it? My cat had an issue around his ears a few months back. When he would rip the skin I would put peroxide on the wound to prevent further infection, which I worried would cause further itching. He's been ok lately. Maybe it's just the same pesky scab reopening over and over and causing the itch?

wolfes67

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Since these posts ended in April '15 and it's now November, this suggestion may well go unnoticed. But for my two cents worth, when a wound healing under the front arm of my cat needed protection, I bought a 4-pack of preemie onesies from Target for $9.99. Perfect.

Slipped over her front legs. Put a little padding under the arm to help keep it dry. Put a plastic cone on upside down so it covered her front legs and did not drive her crazy around her head, but still prevented her from licking it so it wouldn't get wet, as keeping it dry was imperative in preventing bacterial growth. Am armpit wound is a terror to treat!

But remember the preemie onesie suggestion. Snug, and did the job.

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also I've had great luck with Veterycin spray. It has been used on some nasty wounds and it helped them immensely. I've seen the fliers of horses, abused dogs, and also farm animals and it helped greatly. If you go to their online page you can see it. It is graphic. I've used it myself on a cat that was allergic to soy and ripped his neck same as the op's cat.

wolfes67

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A pic of her "setup". Upside down cone over her onesie tee is clear plastic, so it's hard to see (except for blue printing on it, if you can spot it.)

She wasn't in mood so I could more clearly show it.

What's great is that the arm is so snug it holds the bandage in place and eliminates the need for wrapping. Hallelujah

wolfes67

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Rather... she wasn't in the mood to stand up so I could more clearly show it...

wolfes67

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A pic of her "setup". Upside down cone over her onesie tee is clear plastic, so hard to see (except for blue printing on it, if you can spot it.) She wasn't in mood to stand do you can get a better look at it.

What's great is . The arm is so snug it holds the bandage in place and eliminates the need for wrapping. Hallelujah

mp75

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I see that this is an old post but hoping someone may still come across. As the original poster, but cat had/HAS the same situation. He got out, got bit, after the wound was healing from an abscess he started scratching and tearing it open. After desperation discovered the sock concept. We did the same... Several vet visits, hydrocortisone shots, antibiotics, change diet... Nothing has worked. He has been living with this for 5 years. I have to change his socks regularly because he always finds a way to get underneath there and claw himself open. I bought the little toenail sheaths, he rips them off. Now he has started scratching the side of his face and ear, and little tries to rip off his toenails. I feel so hopeless. We love him so much. We've had him for 12 years and half his life he has been suffering. I've tried cat pheromones... You name it. I'm hoping there might be just one miracle that someone may know of that will help him aside from having to put him to sleep, so he's just not suffering anymore. We are all so sad. Thanks so much.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I see that this is an old post but hoping someone may still come across. As the original poster, but cat had/HAS the same situation. He got out, got bit, after the wound was healing from an abscess he started scratching and tearing it open. After desperation discovered the sock concept. We did the same... Several vet visits, hydrocortisone shots, antibiotics, change diet... Nothing has worked. He has been living with this for 5 years. I have to change his socks regularly because he always finds a way to get underneath there and claw himself open. I bought the little toenail sheaths, he rips them off. Now he has started scratching the side of his face and ear, and little tries to rip off his toenails. I feel so hopeless. We love him so much. We've had him for 12 years and half his life he has been suffering. I've tried cat pheromones... You name it. I'm hoping there might be just one miracle that someone may know of that will help him aside from having to put him to sleep, so he's just not suffering anymore. We are all so sad. Thanks so much.
I'm sorry to hear about your cat and the issue.

Why don't you start your own thread so others can see and maybe help, at least with some support.

Just go to health forum, and on the left it says start a new thread.

ScooterN

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I know this is an old post, but was hoping you had found an answer. My cat has the same problem. 400 dollars in vet bills, antibiotics, steroid shot, blood work, test for FIV. Going on 6 months and still scaps and then falls off and is open and raw. Cannot understand why we cannot find answer.

ndswin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my cat had the same thing and after several different opinons one vet gave me prednilosone liquid to administer
orally and some betagen topical spray. the prednilosone worked. i can use the betagen now if she has any slight
irritation i put it on to prevent it from getting to the tearing her skin open stage. It turns out she has seasonal allergies
to something in the enviornment. After several years I still have to give her the prednilosone on occasion but not
as much as I used to during the allergy season which would be in spring and fall.

Mandyj

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey I know this is old but I’ve been having the almost the same exact issue, she ( my cat) was in the animal hospital for 2 weeks still not healed. I’m lost and broke lol. how is your cat doing? And how did you get it to heal? Any advice would be really appreciated she currently wearing soft paws and still going at it, she has a cone she wears when not in sight.